Factories in Tight Spaces

Start on a small island that can only be expanded by research. Infinite ore patches can be placed by hand and removed by the OreEraser tool.

Scenarios
7 months ago
Environment

i pymod support

1 year, 3 months ago

How hard would it be to create support for pyanodons?

1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Protocol,
Pyanodons should be doable but it'll take me a minute to dig through and find all the resources and such. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Do you know if most people play Py's with alien life and all the Py's mods? I found a mod pack here that'd I'd probably base the compatibility around: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/py_mods_pack .

Also there's a good chance anyone play this mod with Tight Spaces will want to use the mod setting for more landfill per research, the builds get really big if I remember correctly.

1 year, 3 months ago

Alright, thanks. PyAL is the one most people flip flop on, so is it possible to check resources for each mod individually? If not, then maybe just check for PyAL? I don't recall which of them add ores, but I don't think PyAL does. If none of that works for you then just make it required, because anyone playing this plus Py is looking for a challenge and most likely has PyAL installed.
As for the landfill, absolutely. Is there any way you could create some factorissimo 2 integration or "checkpoints" so you could use more space? Or possibly hide recursion and better buildings behind those checkpoints? Thanks!

1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks for the info, I can detect PyAL and make that one optional.

For landfill I wasn't clear in my original response: Tight Spaces has 3 researches at each science tier (red, green, military...) to give the player more landfill (500 * science tier) which was enough for when I played it on base game, Krastorio, and Angel-Bobs.

One of the mod-settings for Tight Spaces is a multiplier for how much landfill each of these researches give the player.
That setting should probably be turned up to 2 or 3 when playing with Py's, but I'd have to do a playthorugh myself to give a good recommendation.

As for Factorissimo, if it works with Py's it should work with Tight Spaces. I think Factorissimo has mod-settings for hiding recursion if you think it's too strong.

1 year, 3 months ago

Gotcha, thanks! I forgot about the multiplier, that makes sense. I do think it would be cool as part of the modding API to put mod options in the world creator, like how cliffs and trees and stuff are put there. That way you could have a "Pyanodons Recommended" with all of the correct settings.

1 year, 3 months ago

Okay, I think I have a working version with Py's and Py's Alien life. It also probably works with whatever subset of the mods people want to play with, but I haven't tried all the combinations myself.

If you run into any bootstrapping/deadlock issues (missing resources, previous overworld spawns not available, etc.) please let me know and I'll get a patch out.

I think I'll give this a playthrough and recommend how big of a landfill multiplier to use.

As for your recommendation to put the landfill multiplier in the map settings, I chose to put it in the runtime-global settings so that if someone was playing and found it too easy/too hard they could change it mid-playthough. Sadly this means I can't add it to the map presets, but I felt the tradeoff was worth it.

1 year, 3 months ago

Makes sense. Thanks for the good work. I'll take a look when I can, and see if I notice anything that doesn't work.

1 year, 2 months ago

A note: I saw you fixed moss bootstrapping for Py. I know algae can be grabbed from the water (which is pretty abundant) but how about something like sap? Has that already been taken care of? I'm trying to find time to play Py, but I'm swamped right now.

1 year, 2 months ago

Hey Protocol,
No worries, I like having Tight Spaces support common mod packs.
If you do start a playthrough I'd heavily recommend using the mod settings to increase the amount of landfill per research to 3x or 5x. I got all of the research up to basic circuits and didn't have close to enough space to make them. I'm trying out a regular Py's + Py's Alien life run now and taking some notes to figure out how much space the factory uses at each tier so I can make a better recommendation.

Sap bootstrapping is handled by a hand-crafting-only recipe that takes 20 logs and gives 1 sap, which is the same drop rate as it is from trees.
The changelog for moss is because I discovered it after I'd already published the update and had to re-upload.

7 months ago
(updated 7 months ago)

Hi Riptide,
I was playing Py with this mod earlier this year which was great, however when I tried it today, it has stopped working for some reason.

Selecting only Factories in Tight Spaces and all the current Py Mods, it comes up with 'Error loading mods'

Failed to load mods: Error while running setup for map gen preset "fits-tight-spaces-island": "nexelit-rock" is not a valid autoplace control name.

I assume an update to Py Mods has caused an incompatibility somewhere

do you know why this is happening, and would it be possible to update the mod?

edit: I have tried a whole bunch of things with editing the nexelit-rock in factorio-compatibility.lua, but there is nothing that works.
I also tried removing the line in that file, and also in util.lua, and only removing both works.

7 months ago

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the bug report!
It turns out that Py's Alien life 2.1.8 hid the Nexelit Reserves (big nexelit rocks) to encourage using the digger dinos: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/pyalienlife/changelog .

I've pushed a new version of FITS that fixes the auto-place issue and removes the Nexelit Reserves if Py's Alien Life is on (Non-alien life Py's is unaffected).

I'm relatively sure that Factorio's engine will handle the FITS version migration and remove the infinite Nexelit Reserves from your game, but if you run into issues let me know.

New response