Titanium

by brevven

Adds titanium ore to the base game. Titanium is mined with lubricant and used in Low Density Structures, Flying Robot Frames and a few other places. Compatible with RSO, Krastorio 2, Space Exploration, and more. A standalone piece of BZ Mods. With graphics by snouz.

Content
3 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Mining Manufacturing

g [FIXED] Makes SE deep core mining unsustainable

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

This post applies to all 4 of your mods that add a new ore (Titanium, Tungsten, Lead and Zirconium).

I'm currently playing through Space Exploration (no K2) with all 5 of your recipe-changing mods, fairly enjoyable so far but I'm facing a problem now that I started deep core mining on Nauvis (which I started doing because all those additional ores made Iron a lot rarer on my map). There's no way to get rid of your ores to keep the thing going.

Iron, Copper, Stone and the SE ores (Holmium, Iridium, etc) used in crafting can all be made into landfill at purposefully terrible ratios (50 ore to 1 landfill) in recycling facilities (regular assemblers for Stone), providing an excellent way to get rid of any excess and keep core mining going for a good amount of time/later on indefinitely before manual intervention (and Coal, Vulcanite, Uranium are pretty much consumables, easily dealt with); but Titanium, Wolframite, Lead and Zircon have no such recycling recipes on top of being consumed less than the big 3; constantly blocking core mining.

Perhaps the basic core fragments should produce less of those ores as they're used a lot less than Iron, Copper and Stone in research yet produced in batches of 5 per core fragment just like Copper and Stone. Maybe 2 or 3 of each ore per fragment would be more sane? Even that might be too much, I'm not sure. All I know is 5 of each per fragment is definitely too much, with no external source of any kind the belts for your ores barely move while my Iron, Copper, Stone, Coal, Uranium and Vulcanite belts are always empty.

The thing I know for sure is that recipes for turning 50 of them (or even worse ratios) into landfill should be added to recycling facilities just like for the other crafting ores; as it stands core mining is pretty much unusable with any of your mods besides Silica & Silicon, it will always come to a stop really fast.

Should be a fairly easy fix as far as I understand factorio modding, hopefully you're around and not too busy.

2 years ago

Thanks for the report! I've made both changes you recommend.

I balanced for now core fragment processing to produce 3 titanium ore, 1 lead ore, 2 wolframite, and 2 zircon. Let me know if that isn't enough.

I've also added landfill recipes.

1 year, 10 months ago
(updated 1 year, 10 months ago)

Sorry the fix took slightly too long for the likings of my addiction so I had removed your mods, forgot to check here and eventually lost interest in my save. I'm starting a new game soon with K2 + SE this time and all your mods (Very BZ + Aluminum, not sure if I should avoid aluminum until it's added to Very BZ?). I expect a pure, undiluted CBT experience. Will report on balancing later if I don't ragequit and/or develop a seething hatred for you. :^)

1 year, 10 months ago

What do you mean by a CBT experience?

Aluminum should be pretty stable now, but it does depend on Foundry, which changes some other things like steel. I hope you do not develop a seething hatred :)

1 year, 10 months ago

Hint: The last letter is short for Torture :D
I'm already starting to hate you because of aluminium not gonna lie. But I'm managing for now.

New response