Titanium

by brevven

Adds titanium ore to the base game. Titanium is mined with lubricant and used in Low Density Structures, Flying Robot Frames and a few other places. Compatible with RSO, Krastorio 2, Space Exploration, and more. A standalone piece of BZ Mods. With graphics by snouz.

Content
3 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Mining Manufacturing

g 0.17 Lube update

4 years ago

Titanium is a pretty cool idea, and it looks like it would be a neat smaller addition to the game.

However, the latest FFFs are telling us that lube will become a later game addition.

With that in mind, this could be a good opportunity to make the titanium extraction significantly more realistic. The simplest would be to require acid, but that would be very similar to uranium anyway. Much more interesting would be to add a new fluid, chlorine, which has to be extracted from water (assuming salt water here). You could use this as the fluid for the drills if you want to abstract away everything. You could also add a couple steps to the process in which the sodium left over from the chlorine extraction process gets added back to the TiCl4 to produce usable titanium. This could leave NaCl a byproduct, which then gets fed back into the chemical plants to produce Cl and Na again.

Just a thought for how to make the mod more realistic and a bit more complex at the same time.

4 years ago

That's a cool idea. I think I would do it as a separate mod so people could choose their level of complexity. It might be cool do a "Chlorine" mod that updates titanium extraction (and maybe processing), and also adds PVC as a second use for chlorine. I'll think on it, let me know if you happen to think of any other uses for chlorine in-game.

4 years ago

Could make the poison capsules out of chlorine. Poison gas artillery? Not sure if that would be feasible. Tank shells that spread poison gas would certainly work.

I did some further reading, and nowadays the Kroll process is much more common for Titanium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroll_process

This uses magnesium instead of sodium, but you can still extract both reagents from seawater.

New response