Foundry

by brevven

Adds a foundry building for making alloys, etc. A standalone accessory from BZ Mods.

Content
2 months ago
Manufacturing

g balancing

2 years ago

Nice to see you continuing work..
you do you ofc but just comparing some of the values to KR/SE or even vanilla

seems like power consumption of electric version could be trippled easly

(comparing industrial furnace(AAI) to electric fundry) :
fundry recipe is easier? but its tech is more down the line?

sure about speed 4? i guess it makes sense if its only for certain metals

though i leave some feedback

2 years ago

To add to this rather than make a new thread; since I've looked into adding this to my AAI/BZ multiplayer game which is near achieving 10k science per minute.

The electric foundry consumes just 3kW more than the non-electric 90kW and thus easily powered by a couple solar panels; this is trivial when researched that late into the tech tree, even with modules. The industrial furnace by comparison uses 517kW with the same crafting speed and technology, yet is drastically impacted by the productivity/speed modules consumption penalty. This leap in consumption also applies to the electric furnace when compared to the steel furnace too.

I believe the electric foundry would make for a good addition to the mid-tier 'blue science' technology; with AAI compatibility allowing the industrial furnace to be capable of foundry recipes. This would balance the two mods much better, plus allow AAI players to use 5 modules instead of 3, which for steel plate is a major difference compared to the much lesser used silicon, cermet, etc. (Requiring twice the number of steel producing foundries is excessive late-game, with power being irrelevant at that point anyhow.)

Other than that, I like the addition of solid fuel for more heat intensive smelting. It's like Angel's Smelting, only more vanilla themed and simplified.

I look forward to seeing what new ideas and features will be added over time.

2 years ago

Thanks to both of you for this feedback. It's very helpful!

I've just uploaded a new version.

Things I've changed:

• For power consumption, I had kept it far too low (using values like the steel furnace). I've increased it. Double for the burner version, since it's twice as effective a steel furnace, and double again that for electric, similar to how electric furnace is double steel furnace. I think this should now balance well with vanilla, as well as AAI's advanced furnace.
  • For the recipes to make the foundries, I've made both versions a bit more expensive.
  • As for the AAI industrial furnace doing smelting, I have added a setting to allow other "assembling-machine" entities to do smelting. By default it will only be the K2 advanced furnace, but you can add/change it to "industrial-furnace" to allow that in your game. I think that's completely fine to do and not very unbalanced. The reason I'm not defaulting to that is in the next paragraph.

Things I'm not changing (yet?)

• As for the tech tree, I do like the idea of the electric version being pretty late game, after production science. I'd like to try leaving it there for now. So I'm also not defaulting AAI industrial furnace to do founding, so that the first electric founding in the default settings ends up being the electric foundry. I'll think about this some more -- there may be better ways to arrange the tree that make this work. I could consider modifying the AAI tech to come later too, for example.
  • As for speed 4, I am pretty happy with that. For the burner, it means that early game steel lines can look pretty similar, just a couple squares wider. And for the electric foundry, I follow the vanilla furnace pattern of electric being the same speed as the burner, but allowing modules. I'll think about this more though.
2 years ago

yes i was comparing to AAI) to electric fundry cause they have same speed 4
i think im gonna use yours just for your ore mods only and not for replacement for smelting *(leaving it off in the game settings)

my comment on tech tree/recipe was that in that previous version it was harder to research it albeit was easier to craft (than Aii fundry)
not forcing any change on you, just mentioning that i didn't see any sense to it
thanks to you too

2 years ago

Looking it over it's more have the industrial furnace not being able to the refractory that sticks out to me more. (maybe make setting to add only refractory recipes) I do think that on the tech tree the industrial furnace and electric foundry should switch places. This ensures both get used at some point and as a bonus for SE it makes the electric furnace useful. The two furnaces are too close together already in SE and had point this out to Earendal. (This could be made specific to Space Exploration.

4 months ago
(updated 4 months ago)

coming in a year down the line from your last visit to this topic to say that production science is absolutely insane for the electric foundry? you get electric furnaces in general at just chemical science, I don't really see why it fits further down other than an arbitrary gate to prevent easier removal of fuel from smelting/alloying arrays? Feels kinda bad.
It doesn't even cost anything that'd warrant it being gated behind Prod. science

New response