Graphite & Diamonds

by brevven

Adds elemental carbon items to the game, including graphite, diamonds, graphene, and optionally fullerenes, nanotubes, etc. Compatible with Krastorio 2, Space Exploration, and more. A standalone piece of BZ Mods

Content
2 months ago
Mining Manufacturing

i List of recipes

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hello,

it must be chrismas :-)

I have looked into and find it very good, but some recipes i find should not changed (Modules, LDS Centrifuge) as i find the addition somewhat not in style (diamonds in a centrifuge ?)
But the possibility to bypass a recipe is superb.
So how about supplying a List of changed recipes (in the options, or on the FAQ page, where one can copy the list with the changes)?
This would be super helpfull and prevent some errors on format, especially that you (or the mod) should know all changes :-)
Best way could be that the line is filled for each mod, so when clicking to bypass the line is changeable.

And if you want to use the overflowous diamonds you can add a diamond (powder) to solar cells or look for anything glasfiber related recipes

I just noticed the lasers are left out - that would be the primal reciever for diamonds i think

The Diamond ore seems like handing 80% diamonds/ 20% stone - i think its a little high on diamonds, i would feel better switch the numbers or an even lower percentage of diamonds; at least they can be made artifcal. (of make this an option? )

Super thanks :-)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Great idea for each mod to have a list of recipes it modifies. I'll do that in the next few days for this one, not sure how exactly I'll supply it, but I'll figure out something.

I'll think on lasers, solar cells and diamond fiberglass, as well, thanks for the ideas. I hadn't originally used it in lasers because lasers tend to use rubies, or even yttria-based crystals, but perhaps in absence of those, diamonds makes sense for the game.

I'll reexamine balance for Modules, LDS and Centrifuge. But, as for the reasoning for each of the specific recipes:

• Module 2s - Diamonds are already often used in modern high tech electronics, and likely will be more in the future. I didn't want to stick them in module 3s or RCUs as those recipes already had additions, so I chose module 2s in this case. Perhaps they would be better in module 3s to reduce the amount needed a bit?
  • LDS - Diamonds are commonly used as grinding grit. I figured LDS was a good example of a place where precision grinding made sense. I'm pretty happy with this one
  • Centrifuge - This was the most iffy. Diamonds are often used as microbearing, so I figured a centrifuge would have some need of microbearings. However, most bearings in a centrifuge are probably not microbearings, so definitely an iffy one.

I'll keep examining the diamond ore outputs. I want to balance it so if used, it's hard to rely completely on diamond ore (but possible). I made the ore extremely rare, but maybe the out put of 80%/20% is still too high. I think I could also have it output stone from the miners as well.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

For the list :

• prefilled option line, which then can modified if clicking on

• output in Log-file (though, somewhat hidden then)

• a copy-paste-list in the FAQ and/or txt-file in the mod-folder would be sufficient i think

for Moduls : i would say 3s are more likely as they are the peak :-)

for LDS : i completely understand ( and have suspected this), i would also use the Diamonds in the higher assemblers, but LDS is a endproduct and i don't think it will contain any diamonds

as i am playing with Ion cannon, there could be also an opening for some additions

2 years ago

My original idea with LDS was to have it take in diamonds, and then output diamonds with a lower probability (like 75% or something), to represent the grinding wearing the diamond grit off the grinding wheels.

However, when evaluating the complexity of the LDS recipe, it just seemed too high for a core vanilla recipe, especially when used with my other mods.

I wonder if it's worth putting in an option for that?

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Also, I've decided to remove the diamonds from centrifuge -- I'll try to think of other places microbearings actually might be used.

I've decided to add 1 diamond to laser turrets (if I ever have a better gem intermediate to use in place, I will, but this is great for now).

I've also split the difference on modules: In vanilla, module 2s require 1 diamond (used to be 4), and if tier 5 or 4 modules are enabled by a mod, they will use diamonds instead of tier 2.

2 years ago

I'm curious about in the case of K2 which uses quartz in it's lasers if the diamond should replace the quartz or not.

2 years ago

I'm inclined to leave both for now. Doesn't feel right taking the quartz out in K2.

2 years ago

Also speaking of Quartz are going to update the Silica & Silicon mod that one hasn't been updated for the new version of K2.

2 years ago

Did you have any issues with that? I have been able to run Silica & Silicon with the new version of K2 -- I don't believe S&S uses any K2 assets.

2 years ago

The version on the mod portal hasn't been updated for K2 1.2 also there is a extra recipe for electric components introduced with K2 1.2.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Speaking about diamonds used as microbearings, a gyroscope comes into my mind, so everything which needs some positional input can be used for a diamond sink (robotframes, Thrustersuit Mk2, Jetpack Mk2, personal-laser-defence-Mk2) (Mk2 as keeping the base unmodified, and later ones use the Mk2 as ingedient, so for Mk3 and further it would feels somelike enforced for me, if using some additionals)

Also Turrets and inserters may use gyroscopes, but not neccesary, but i would sure think about the Artillery to use the correct position info to deliver with accuracy and promptness :-) .

I have also looked into further recipes of SE which can use some of the Graphite/Fullerenes/Nanotubes (likewise growth-facility)

• Life-support-facility, Biochemical-facility, Decontamination-facility, Genetics-facility

• Observationframes (also either or additional diamondpowder?)

• Telescopes ?

If one use the robotframe/observationframes with diamonds as input, i would say an option for the amount of diamont produced (via ore or assembler) would be a good thing to get the level straigth as both are used somewhat heavily in research/robot production

Other thing is, it seems i can't bypass the modification of the rocket-engine-nozzle, but it could be me :-(

2 years ago

Other thing is, it seems i can't bypass the modification of the rocket-engine-nozzle, but it could be me :-(

Ah whoop. Yeah, right now, rocket-engine-nozzle recipe is built in-full in the Tungsten mod, rather than being modified by this mod. I'll have to rework that at some point.

(I'll reply to the rest in a bit)

2 years ago

there is a extra recipe for electric components introduced with K2 1.2.

Thanks, I had not seen that. I've updated S&S to update that recipe as well. Pretty excited about that "Efficient fabrication" tech -- I might take a deeper look at it in the future.

2 years ago

Speaking about diamonds used as microbearings, a gyroscope comes into my mind, so everything which needs some positional input can be used for a diamond sink (robotframes, Thrustersuit Mk2, Jetpack Mk2, personal-laser-defence-Mk2) (Mk2 as keeping the base unmodified, and later ones use the Mk2 as ingedient, so for Mk3 and further it would feels somelike enforced for me, if using some additionals)

Also Turrets and inserters may use gyroscopes, but not neccesary, but i would sure think about the Artillery to use the correct position info to deliver with accuracy and promptness :-) .

Robot frames is a great idea! I'll consider this. Want to test it out first since it bumps the recipe complexity past the 4 ingredient threshold. Though as you know, I'm generally happy to do that, especially with the bypass setting available. A small part of me wants to introduce a micro-gyroscope intermediate that uses diamonds & silica, but not sure.

I do like the modded equipment ideas, too. I'll think through these diamond use cases alongside the robot frames.

I think I will skip inserters, if only because it would be annoying to need diamonds in inventory to handcraft them :) Maybe K2 superior inserters would make sense.

I have also looked into further recipes of SE which can use some of the Graphite/Fullerenes/Nanotubes (likewise growth-facility)

• Life-support-facility, Biochemical-facility, Decontamination-facility, Genetics-facility

• Observationframes (also either or additional diamondpowder?)

• Telescopes ?

Honestly I'm not 100% clear on what observation frames are meant to represent. Are they some sort of high-tech photographic film.

I'll also take another pass at the facilities :)

If one use the robotframe/observationframes with diamonds as input, i would say an option for the amount of diamont produced (via ore or assembler) would be a good thing to get the level straigth as both are used somewhat heavily in research/robot production

For something like this, I'd prefer to get the balance right than having an option, necessarily. But I will definitely consider it.

2 years ago

I checked the LDS with Areoframe it appears there is no diamond added or a carbon nanotube version of the recipe.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

There should be an alternate nanotube recipe for "Aeroframe scaffolds". It is unlocked by the "Carbon nanotubes" tech. If you can't find it, can you share a save with me please.

2 years ago

Oh I misunderstood, you're referring to the LDS recipe itself. I should add diamonds to that for sure.

I'll think on a secondary nanotube recipe for that too. Thank you

2 years ago

Actually, I have an opinion question on the nanotubes/LDS recipes.

So, for SE Aeroframe scaffolds, SE Nanomaterial, and K2 Imersium items, for alternate nanotubes recipes, I've added nanotubes and doubled the output of recipes. If I add nanotubes to other things, I will probably do the same. However, for LDS I altered the recipe when adding nanotubes, it's more favorable, but a little different.

Do you think I should keep the pattern and change LDS nanotube recipe to be same ingredients+nanotubes --> doubled output?

2 years ago

Looks like I found the nanotube Aeroframe recipe it's unlocked with the carbon nanotube. That might need it's own tech sense it's earlier than the regular recipe. Not sure for the LDS recipe other than the missing diamond I say go with your original idea for LDS recipe.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

That's true, the tech tree in SE is bifurcated after blue science, so you could get nanotubes before aeroframe scaffolds, or vice versa. I'll move the recipe unlock to aeroframe scaffolds, because that's the tech that truly unlocks the item. If someone doesn't have nanotubes yet, they won't be able to use that (alternate) recipe until they do.

2 years ago

I found some more missed recipes. The electronic-circuit-stone recipe from AAI Industry doesn't get the graphite added to it like the regular recipe. This might a thing present for K2 and Bobs which uses wood in it's electronic-circuit with AAI adding the stone tablet recipe as well.

The se-cyronite-lubricant is also doesn't have graphite as well and it's a better yield recipe so it should have it.

Space Exploration has a Crude oil processing recipe which doesn't have the Carbon black by-product added yet.

2 years ago

Thanks -- electronic circuits and lubricant will be updated in the next pass.

As for crude oil processing, I did do a quick setup for that one, and it seemed that it does such an "unfavorable" ratio of oils that the cracking alone makes more than enough carbon black for plastic. (Same for Coal and Coke liquefaction)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Ok this specific issue should be fixed in latest update (also in Zirconium). You'll need to update Tungsten as well.

2 years ago

I noticed the steel beam and steel gear recipes direct from iron plates don't need any graphite right now. May be a good idea to add graphite to those recipes as well.

2 years ago

Thanks, nice catch! That'll be in the next update.

2 years ago

Also, (especially to nosports), I'm still working on a way to automatically generate the list of recipes.

2 years ago

The Carbon matter tech local name is not there. Unknown key: "technology-name.carbon-matter-processing"

2 years ago

String fixed.

I've also finally added an optional feature to dump a list of modified recipes to a file. It will list only the recipes modified during the specific game load.

Had to borrow code from the "Big Data String" mod, which is very nice but still a hack. We'll see how well it works with complicated mod lists :)

2 years ago

Hello,

thats very nice.

i noticed the graphene is barely visible on a belt, so i would suggest to ramp up to some more dark (blue/gray) color

2 years ago

So, I liked the gyroscope idea a lot. I ended up adding it to S&S as it makes more sense there, but if G&D is enabled, it'll be used in the recipe.

2 years ago

Not sure for the LDS recipe other than the missing diamond I say go with your original idea for LDS recipe.

After some back and forth, I think I'm going to switch it to the nanotube pattern (add 2xN nanotubes, get 2xN outputs at the cost of N) in the next update.

I'm doing a bit of a rework of LDS recipes. In part inspired by a suggestion from nobake in this thread. Also (spoiler alert) the next mod i do will likely have an alloy that will go into LDS.

So, overall I'm going to need fewer LDS recipes to manage or the permutations are going to get out of control.

New response