Better Air Filtering

by JoeyDP

An overhaul of the air filtering mod by Schorty. Includes complex air filtering steps to remove pollution.

Content
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Environment

b [Feature] Possible bug with Electric consumption

4 years ago

I've been inserting efficiency modules into the tier 2 machines a lot, but it seems the power consumed is not reduced at all. I expected a drop of 60% from inserting two level 1 efficiency modules, but there seems to be no difference visible in the power consumption display of the electric grid.

4 years ago

From the FAQ: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/better-air-filtering/faq

Do modules affect absorption rate?

• Speed and efficiency module effects can be applied to the air filter machines. Do note that the energy drain (continuous consumption) is not affected by these modules.
4 years ago

Ha - Not a bug, but a feature? :)

Typically, efficiency modules do reduce power consumption in pretty much all other machines where they are allowed which is why I find this behavior a bit odd.

4 years ago

Ha - Not a bug, but a feature? :)

Definitely a bug, however not one I can do much about. My machines need continuous power consumption (drain) and Factorio chose not to let modules affect drain. This means that for now speed modules are overpowered and efficiency modules are underpowered.

4 years ago

there shouldn't be a need for continuous power drain, only when there is pollution to scrub. it is an odd justification by using the surrounding chunks as a reason for continuous power drain.

4 years ago

@ptx0 That's like saying radars don't need to consume power if the chunk they scan hasn't changed. I chose to implement my air filter machines such that they continuously suck in the air around them and clean it if possible. They can't know whether or not there is pollution 2 chunks down, so they have to keep working.

4 years ago

radar is not a valid comparison because i don't need more than one radar per chunk. radar does its job appropriately and works on a much larger area than even the MK3 filter here, which only works on three adjacent chunks.

do you have a save file with a rocket launched where the pollution was manageable without UPS hit through the entire game? I'd like to see it to get an idea of how the update times are affected by having more than 5,000 entities scanning adjacent chunks, because...

radar also doesn't require an enormous number of built entities to scale with production output.. remember I asked for higher absorption levels to deal with megabases? I don't have to keep adding radar to a production area in order to have the same level of visibility I had before expanding production.

with the current design you'll easily have more than 1,000 entities all checking for adjacent chunks to scrub for pollution instead of just one that has infinite research associated with it - which is funny, because the vanilla game has infinite research that will increase pollution over time, but yours tops out at a measly 300 pollution per minute while one of my fully beaconed furnaces can output this much. I didn't have my full production going in my current map and we were hitting 600 MK3 filters to ATTEMPT to control the spread of the cloud. The amount of coal/steel/plastic doesn't really matter to me like it does for others, nor the infrastructure required to handle the air filtering. It is the number of entities and their ElectricNetwork updates that are all constantly required. If your mod has no pollution to absorb, it is still impacting UPS via ElectricNetwork updates.

of course, energy drain isn't as big of a concern if the chunk scan size and absorption rate grew with the aforementioned infinite research gated behind Space Science. then the number of entities would remain constant as the player progresses - unless they are running heavily polluting industry like Coal-based Pyanodon modpack.

see, the thing is, with a vanilla megabase you are already going to be adding more and more entities to keep up with the production levels required, and adding more than 10x the number of air filters is an Inefficient Design.

I understand, it is your mod. that's fine, I've noticed the license is marked as MIT (same as the original it was based on) so there is full permission already for me to fork the code and make it the way I want it, just as it is your right to make it the way you want it. I only wanted to combine our collective efforts to make this mod the best it could be instead of having several that do not work well.

New response