Autodrive

by Pi-C

Car equipment for train avoidance, logistic network integration, circuit network connectivity, fuel refill, ammo reload, vehicle repair, radio control, enemy targeting, and gate control.

Content
2 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

g [TODO] Destination list [Was: follow how to?]

3 years ago

Hey. How do I enable Follow Player? The desired module is installed in the machine. But my car drives only if you specify a point using the remote control.

3 years ago

The sensor is really in the car grid, not in the trunk? If so, use the switch in the GUI. Your name will then be printed next to it. If you toggle the switch, there should be some flying text above the car. Once you've done that, move away, I think you need to be at least 20 tiles distant from your car before it follows you.

3 years ago

Oh, thanks. I did not see the control buttons at the top.

3 years ago

Can I make programmed points somehow ?. Often you have to go to the mall or somewhere else. It would be convenient to remember these places and not to look on the map every time.

3 years ago

Autodrive is rather primitive. With the Remote control, you can select one or more vehicles and send them to a destination, but you can't define a group of waypoints. If you want to define a path by just marking a number of positions on the map, you should use AAI Programmable Vehicles.

However, there is a Circuit network sensor that lets vehicles react to circuit network signals transmitted with the Shortwave mod (it's already a dependency, so you should have it). It's not easy and requires several combinators per waypoint. Somewhere in this thread I've discussed route programming with dorfl. I've made a basic prototype that worked, but it wasn't really useful because I didn't have bot researched at that time, so vehicles couldn't be used to automatically transport items between different positions. It should have worked for sending some vehicle on patrol around the base.

Also, my design used about a dozen combinators per waypoint and vehicle (I guess somebody like DaveMcW would be able to make it more effective, but he plays in another league). So setting up several routes with a lot of waypoints for even a medium fleet of car-like vehicles will require some space, time, and patience. :-)

3 years ago

It would be convenient to remember these places and not to look on the map every time.

Oh, reading this again, maybe I've got you wrong! Could it be that you don't want to program a route, but just store a number of destinations, so you can select one from a drop-down list?

3 years ago

It would be convenient to remember these places and not to look on the map every time.

Oh, reading this again, maybe I've got you wrong! Could it be that you don't want to program a route, but just store a number of destinations, so you can select one from a drop-down list?

+1

I also always return the car to my mall to pick up stuff. That's always the same location, which you need to go look for on the map. Having it be a shortcut would make things easier, but I don't see how it could be implemented with a clean interface though.

3 years ago

Yes.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I also always return the car to my mall to pick up stuff. That's always the same location, which you need to go look for on the map. Having it be a shortcut would make things easier, but I don't see how it could be implemented with a clean interface though.

A dropdown list of some frequently used destinations certainly would be useful. However, I'm afraid this would take up even more screen real estate than a name for the vehicles. Must be careful not to make the GUI too big, otherwise it may become an impediment rather than a useful helper.

Perhaps a separate window could be opened when a location should be added. It should provide a place to enter the x and y values of a position (you can get these with the "Markers" mod which is an optional dependency of this mod) and a textfield for the location name, probably also one button each for "Add" and "Remove". Once a position has been added, the input window would be closed and the location would be available from the dropdown list in the main GUI.

Just some general thoughts, though, not saying that I'll start to work on it immediately. :-D

New response