Auto Resource Redux

Automatic resource distribution between machines - for RTS like/combat focused gameplay

Overhaul
21 days ago
Logistics Cheats

i Table at the top of the screen

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

Hi, I was wondering if you could maybe add an option to hide the item table, and instead add a button which would open a new window which lists team's items, maybe with 2 tabs for items and fluids? Or two buttons on top of the screen, for items and fluids, respectively? Kind of like when you opened a chest, or another inventory window, maybe?

I play with full PySuite - with the sheer number of items and intermediaries I can expect half of my screen to be covered with the item table before I reach Sp2. And it looks kinda crowded up there, to me at least...

Thanks in advance, and thanks for making the mod.

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

Double post, sorry...

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

I also think that the item list UI needs a rework, though I am not sold on a good way to do it. My requirements would be:
- Have a way a to tell you if an item has a shortage (currently the item's button turns red)
- Have a way a to tell you about new items (currently the new item's button flashes orange for a bit)
- Less cluttered, this would probably mean configurable hiding/showing of items.

A separate UI does sound enticing, it could show all storages owned by the team (for each planet in space exploration, for example). Though it misses showing when items are added/have a shortage - so I am not a fan of hiding it entirely.

An idea I came up with is to have the separate UI as you said but also allow configuring which items are shown/hidden for the table at the top - it would have a button that lets you enter a configuration mode where you can:
- Hide sub-categories (rows) of items
- Hide specific items
- Reorder the categories of items (not sure if reordering sub-categories would be desired)

(It would be nice to have a button to save/load the order/which items to hide from the player's mod settings)

In addition to that, there would be buttons for each category above the item table (categories are the tabs that you see in the request item window: logistics/intermediates/production, etc). They would let you toggle hiding items for that category/hide the entire category with left/right click. The buttons would become red if an item in that category has a shortage and become orange when a new item is added (requiring you to view the new item for the orange state to be cleared).

Let me know if such a rework would satisfy your needs and if I missed anything.

2 months ago

Crazy Idea but you could do like either Mobile factory own UI for the stockpiles OR make a UI like the production screen but where it shows shortage at the top of it. Couple this with a bar on the left that shows up to 10 items that are having a shortage.

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

*Response to Samarara from previous thread
"
Duplicate of: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/auto-resource-redux/discussion/65edcd079299d8375b64068f

Please use that thread instead.

And I couldn't "just" add a checkmark to the limit GUI, because that doesn't have a way to make the item visible again. Hiding items with 0 quantity presents its own issues too: in the case of a shortage items will be constantly jumping around, making it impossible to click on an item and being very visually distracting.
"

Yeah, I got that issue when I added the checkmark thingy, could in theory have a seperate GUI window where you can have all items from storage.items with hidden/visible, thou that one would also need a search function otherwise we would be back to a bunch of clutter.

Yeah it will jump around a lot, thou I did think of adding a sort of "timer" where if there hasn't been added/removed any item for the last 300 ticks (approx 5 seconds from base 60 tick/s) then it would start hiding it since then it wouldn't jump as much simply due to the item not being used a lot in production - ofc. if you got some slow items it would come back, but could be set in a ingame setting

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

Yeah it would have to be a separate UI that lets you hide items/item groups (as well as reorder the groups).

The timeout for hiding empty item slots is a good idea, though how often are you stopping production of some items for the empty spots to be an issue? Currently, they can be manually cleared by clicking on them.

2 months ago

Ohh you can remove the button normally when you click on it? I did not know that, so that's why I added that xD

and yeah I kinda just store everything, but I got a lot of items that I don't need that many of here and now, so most of the time it would sit at 0 instead of removing the button, which kinda bothers me to look at a bunch of 0's that just take up some screen space, also due to not being able to hide the GUI

2 months ago

Hi, thanks for the answer and the following discussion :). My original suggestion and idea was doing something like a GUI for the mod Circuit HUD v2 - https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CircuitHUD-V2 . The implementation follows the same requirements - show a large number of different items with variable fast changing quantities - in this case signals, in your case actual items, but the visual representation is the same.

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

I really like the way that mod handles it, thanks for showing it to me! I'll take inspiration from it when I have the time to revamp my UI, mainly having it be sections that can be renamed/reordered.

2 months ago

I installed your mod in the angel and bean modpack and I just can’t get enough of it. I'm waiting for the interface fix, everything else is just great. Although I noticed that some mechanisms do not work with this mod.

2 months ago

Glad you enjoy it! Please make a new thread about the things that don't work.

2 months ago

https://prnt.sc/RwZ-87qe5o-N
:'(
I have only 10% of the screen to use...

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

Yeah, just wait till you get the scrollbar - which is awesome xD (factorio "feature" when overfilled)

Edited
Would suggest you install the mod "guiManager" since with that you can disable certains items or even rows from being shown, in case you are at the point where it clutters, then your production of basic ores/others should be enough that you don't need to see if it can keep up right away. You can re enable them afterwards in case your wondering. + you would mostly be in the automatic phase and not so much manual crafting

2 months ago

Clutter Master!
https://prnt.sc/7lWe6xAZRUj0

Not even unlocked all items/recipes yet...

a month ago

After testing the mod for a while with Omnimods, not even touching SE or K2, I can say that while it is good to provide item distribution and allow ultra compact bases, the big clutter in the center of the screen is the main issue of it.
https://prnt.sc/CPMZsiwKwzF5

I hope a new version that removes this visual pollution gets launched and a little better UPS as well... compared to Item Network chest, this mod consumes way more hardware resources.

a month ago

https://i.imgur.com/Bgv5RDP.jpeg

Space Ex chiming in, Haven't even left Nauvis yet. Though I am already happy to see such an invested discussion in the UI issues, guess nothing else really needs to be said lol

25 days ago

Having it stick to the left margin would be much better. To the left of GUI Unifier, FNEI, and anything else

25 days ago

Having the option to switch between left/top might be best, it does depend on what other mod GUIs exist as it will render below anything that's placed in gui.left (so underneath the mod buttons, and FNEI).

While the GUIs on the top are layed out horizontally, the left side GUIs are layed out vertically - so when expanding FNEI it will push my GUI downwards. I don't think the layout direction of the top level containers can be changed.

But it does look a whole lot better if the other left side GUIs aren't too long (as in with FNEI collapsed):

So maybe in addition to the planned showing/hiding/customisation of individual rows, you should be choose its position within the top-level GUI (so you can move it above FNEI, for example)

25 days ago

@samarara, how you deal with logistics between surfaces? I see that you're using Space exploration on those prints, but your mod treat every surface independantly, I still think having all this clusterfuck inside a window that you open with a shortcut or clicking a button is the way to go.

But how you handle logistics between surfaces? Theres no option to read the contents of the Auto Resource logistic network...

17 days ago

Oh WOW.
That looks amazing 😻😻😻

New response