Amator Phasma's Coal & Steam

This mod revisits the early game of Factorio and pushes the electrification a bit further back by extending the Burner-Stage and inserting a new stage: Steam-Stage (buildings will be powered by steam). The production lines of this mod focus on fuel production, but it also comes with a few new intermediates and a new science package. It does not change the standard Techtree too much, the majority of the related tech for this mod comes before the vanilla techtree even begins. The vanilla techtree and most of the other mods content are locked behind a new technology called "Electrification" which can be called the goal of this modification.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 0.18
Manufacturing

g Just finished a playthrough with your mod

4 years ago

and thought I'd leave a review.

I played only the "Coal and Steam" part of your mods, because I also felt like the burner stage was a bit too short in the vanilla game. This essentially delivers what I was hoping for: a meaningful pre-electricity phase.

Some balancing feedback (The mod developed rather quickly while I was playing so my findings might not be applicable in the current version.)
-Green science packs increase in complexity, but red ones do not, which makes for a weird moment where the 'lower'(brown) science packs are much more expensive than the 'higher' red ones. I guess you should also make red science a bit more involved to make the transition feel smoother.
-Steel and wood are a bitch. I was kinda surprised how much of my factory was dedicated to producing wood in the early game, and steel (including coal refining) in the late game. It feels like the productivity of these production chains is a bit too low, at least compared to other production chains.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Thanks for the feedback!

(The mod developed rather quickly while I was playing so my findings might not be applicable in the current version.)

Yes the mod developed rather quickly (64 versions in 1 month :>), because I wanted to have all the things on my list included and with every new part in the mod an other part was landing on this list -(°v°)-, but this stage is now finished at least for Coal&Steam.

Can you tell me if you played the version with the "Wood 2" recipe or an earlier version? If wood is still an issuse I can look into it.

Green science packs increase in complexity, but red ones do not, which makes for a weird moment where the 'lower'(brown) science packs are much more expensive than the 'higher' red ones.

Yes, I agree that the transition from brown to red requires a bit more of something (tm). I already have some ideas, but they need more testing. I have yet to see how I can make this change compatible with bob / angel / sct / aai and space-exploration.

Steel and wood are a bitch. I was kinda surprised how much of my factory was dedicated to producing wood in the early game, and steel (including coal refining) in the late game. It feels like the productivity of these production chains is a bit too low, at least compared to other production chains.

Okay, mhhh ... a bit more progress... I think I should make the recipe for tier 2 (processing with fluids) and 3 (processing with tools) a little more rewarding in the coal processing chain.

4 years ago

I had the wood2 recipe, and during play updated it to the version that required mud for fertilizer.

I will give you more feedback when I try a new game.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Thanks for the feedback!

(The mod developed rather quickly while I was playing so my findings might not be applicable in the current version.)

Yes the mod developed rather quickly (64 versions in 1 month :>), because I wanted to have all the things on my list included and with every new part in the mod an other part was landing on this list -(°v°)-, but this stage is now finished at least for Coal&Steam.

Can you tell me if you played the version with the "Wood 2" recipe or an earlier version? If wood is still an issuse I can look into it.

Green science packs increase in complexity, but red ones do not, which makes for a weird moment where the 'lower'(brown) science packs are much more expensive than the 'higher' red ones.

Yes, I agree that the transition from brown to red requires a bit more of something (tm). I already have some ideas, but they need more testing. I have yet to see how I can make this change compatible with bob / angel / sct / aai and space-exploration.

Steel and wood are a bitch. I was kinda surprised how much of my factory was dedicated to producing wood in the early game, and steel (including coal refining) in the late game. It feels like the productivity of these production chains is a bit too low, at least compared to other production chains.

Okay, mhhh ... a bit more progress... I think I should make the recipe for tier 2 (processing with fluids) and 3 (processing with tools) a little more rewarding in the coal processing chain.

Now there is nothing more important than the steam inserter. This is the first thing you have to think about, remembering this mod.

New response