Alien Biomes

A collection of additional biomes: Snow, Volcanic, Crater, various colors of Dirt, Sand and Grass. Includes new tree and decorative variants. There are planet controls in the mod options. V3 is a complete rebuild, starting a new map is advised, but there is a terrain regeneration option that will preserve parts of your base. HR Terrain Textures are in a separate mod.

Tweaks
1 year, 5 months ago
0.14 - 1.1
Environment

b Games lags on discovering new areas

5 years ago

https://streamable.com/bphkj

I've made this video to show the issue. I just started playing the game with only this mod active but It's freezing a while everytime I discover new area. I don't think my computer is the problem because I have a good laptop with GTX980M as GPU, i7-6800HQ 2,6Ghz and 16GB Ram.

Any way around to fix this? I really like your mod.

Keep up the good work.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I confirm this. Chunk generation is a lot slower than vanilla. I'm on a very fast computer though, so for me it is hardly noticeable, unless I use something like:
/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {{x = -2000, y = -2000}, {x = 2000, y = 2000}})
Then I have to wait for a couple of minutes, barely able to walk.
*EDIT: Or rather, that happened before I enabled texture compression but not really anymore. Just a very slight lag, still for a couple of minutes.

I have some other mods affecting chunk generation too though, so I'm not sure it's Alien Biomes alone.
Try to enable HQ texture compression if you have it disabled, maybe? Strangely, it helped me with a similar stuttering when I was simply moving, not generating new chunks.