Alien Biomes

A collection of additional biomes: Snow, Volcanic, Crater, various colors of Dirt, Sand and Grass. Includes new tree and decorative variants. There are planet controls in the mod options. V3 is a complete rebuild, starting a new map is advised, but there is a terrain regeneration option that will preserve parts of your base. HR Terrain Textures are in a separate mod.

Tweaks
1 year, 4 months ago
0.14 - 1.1
Environment

g terrain generation

6 years ago

Hey,

Just a general observation.
I tried generation on an existing map, worked fine, but:
- water in the middle of the factory in the starting area
- no bitter generated (RSO) in the discovered area
- no resources generated (RSO) in the discovered area
- all the concrete removed

I also noticed when placing concrete, some surface does not have the same junction and finish between the concrete and the surface, some are like in vanilla other like water fix, a straight line.
There is also some surface that show partial lines on the concrete (I remember seeing yellow lines when placing concrete over yellow sand). Was tested with the high res mod.

Everything else worked fine. I don't know if you can tweak it to also regenerate resources and biters, I believe RSO has a command for that too

By the way, Great version, I love the addition and the general looks of the new surfaces, keep going!

6 years ago

One of the problems was tile layering, that should be fixed now.

As for regeneration of stuff, it was supposed to only affect aesthetics but it's getting way more complicated than expected.

6 years ago

If you're dumb enough to actually hit "regenerate terrain" this mod will do the following:

Delete all stone bricks, concrete and any other placed tile anywhere on the entire surface of the map.

Change the current explored area (including radars) to "start area" thus pushing all resource generation out much further and at a lower quotient.

DELETE ALL ORE AND FLUID PATCHES MAP WIDE. You will need console commands to fix this (deleting your achievements) or one of the mods that place patches but you can't get the same randomness back without exploring crazy distances.

I just lost a 180 hour factory (this mod corrupted all 5 saves with the terrain wipe) because of this wonderful piece of code. All because I clicked "remove obsolete tiles" in the mod settings. Buyer beward.

6 years ago

To be fair, that's what you get for not backing up files when modding, or even modding existing saves at all. I'm not even a modder and I've got hours and hours of time on other games like FNV or Skyrim just sitting around trying to get these large quantity of mods to play nice, and I've learned my lesson plenty of times. I'm sorry you lost your save, if I had the power I'd bring it back, the pain rings true a thousand times.

Otherwise note for dev, this was one of my favorite mods to use, I hope you have good luck figuring out the terrain gen problems.

6 years ago

Resources are preserved in chunks where the player has structures. Chunks where players have no structures are completely reset. Resources do spawn in those areas based on the new settings.

If you're using a different mod to control resource generation and it is script-based then all it needs to do is make sure it generates resources on repeated chunk generation.