AAI Vehicles: Hauler

A high capacity general-purpose hauling vehicle for moving items around. The Hauler was designed for use with AAI Programmable Vehicles mod and can act autonomously if programmed correctly, for example: collecting resources from Miners and delivering it to depots.

Content
3 years ago
0.14 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics

i Overpowered Much?

I really like the truck you made. It works great with the Hard Storage mod. I had to tweak the values a lot, however, because the truck is rather overpowered for vanilla play.

It's available at the start and cheap enough I can mine one up in about 5 minutes--which itself would perhaps be fine if it were a very weak vehicle. But it has tank armor and close to tank HP with fairly high speed and very fast turn rate, allowing it to singlehandedly smash trails through trees and biter bases alike.

I nerfed its armor a bit and tweaked its movement attributes around the idea that it's available alongside the car as an early vehicle, except where the car has high maneuverability and speed, the truck has high armor and carrying capacity. Here's what I wound up with after testing, and I'm pretty happy with the result:

Physical resist: 10/30% - a bit softer than tank but stronger than player heavy armor.
Impact resist: 30/50% - low amount/high percent forgives mistakes but still allows tree impacts to hurt. The truck can take quite a few trees before it goes under but I feel you should try to avoid them. Small biters it can squish all day.
Acid resist: 5/0 - I added this to protect against small spitters, but worms still hurt so you shouldn't drive it into enemy bases.

Weight: 10000 - half tank weight
Fuel slots: 4
Consumption: 900kW
Braking power: 600kW
terrain friction modifier: 0.2
friction: 0.002
rotation speed: 0.006
tank driving: false

With these settings it can get going pretty fast and will tear through trees without even slowing down much. It's a bit sluggish in the turns but I've been driving it around for a few hours without too much trouble. Using car-style steering means it can't turn in place which adds realism and also pushes you to think before you drive into a tight spot.

I gave it 4 fuel slots because it burns through fuel so quickly, and it's supposed to haul a lot anyway. The way I was picturing it, this truck uses an excess of steel armor and engine power to make up for what it lacks in technological development--which is why it's available early.

Lastly, I changed the ingredients cost to make it more like a vehicle:
24 Engine unit
60 Steel plate
80 Iron gear wheel

It's about the price of a tank, except it costs more iron and steel instead of red circuits.

What do you think?

7 years ago

i like your changes, they make sense to me, balancing is very important!