AAI Programmable Vehicles

Makes vehicles act like RTS units. Control them using a remote control handset, or program them with circuit conditions and zones. Can be used for base enemy base assault, patrols, friendly base navigation, vehicle-based mining, and more advanced applications. Works with vanilla and modded vehicles. Visit the mod portal page for a full feature list or the forums for tutorials.

Content
5 months ago
0.14 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Circuit network

g Yes, its released!

7 years ago

I squeed when I saw this on the portal

7 years ago

Ha ha, thanks. It's not finished yet but I hope you like it so far.

7 years ago

Will there be something like tutorials or basic instructions to your mod series? It can basically turn Factorio in some form of Red Alert-like stategy game, which is unbelievably awesome, but from what I read in descriptions its kinda of complicated to do...

7 years ago

There are some basic instructions in the forum thread. I'm hoping that the community will make tutorials for things. The mods themselves are intended to be removed from specific implementations and provide more general set of tools instead. It's similar to the way the Factorio devs introduced combinators but didn't do too much in the way of combinator tutorials.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Got it. By the way - when you remote control vehicles they don't use their "engine on" sound and move soundlessly. Is that intended or there will be fixes in following versions? Making them match player's colour when they have assigned orders or are placed under player's direct control would be very nice too.

And one more thing - the art for your vehicles and structures is simply majestic. Immersion with vanilla game art is perfect))

7 years ago

Thanks, I'm glad you like the artwork. I put a lot of effort in trying to make it match the Factorio art style.

The I'm intending on fixing the lack of sounds for vehicles, but I need to find some way of faking the sound without killing the game's performance. Getting unit colours to match the player colour... I don't think that's possible without the Factorio devs making a change to the LUA API. I will look into it and make a modding support request if required.

7 years ago

Ok, thanks for your answers) I am still stuck with even getting forum examples to work (automatic zone placement and miner control), but hopefully I will get it eventually. Looking forward for updates for your mods)

7 years ago

I will add some blueprint strings to help out.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Thanks) I actually got everything to work properly after understanding which parameter tells what to a vehicle and was friggin extatic about it, till my two miners drilled the hell out of each other trying to mine same spot)) Although pathfinding is kinda derpy and its not that easy to specify which unit you want to do your bidding it is awfully interesting to make your own AI for your vehicles. I can see myself sinking quite a few hours (if not days), making mining operations, raiding tank squads and other interesting stuff. It is rather complicated though if you don't have at least a little programming or scripting experience, i can see many people just dropping this cool mod because they didn't understand it.

7 years ago

I'm glad you got it working. It's not supposed to be easy :)

I don't mind if the circuit stuff is too complicated for most people, at least they can still benefit from vehicles acting like turrets, the remote control handset, and other people's blueprints.

Driverless vehicles now have sound!

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Thanks, its really cool! And you're right - vehicles protecting you when there is no one inside is really good, especially for 0.15 where turret creep will be massively nerfed (I heard that turrets will have arming time after being placed). What really needs to be done though is basic awareness for vehicle AI's of each other's collision boxes, so that when you drag select units and order them to go someplace - they don't try to occupy same tile ramming each other to death... Don't know how hard that would be to implement though.

Vehicle AI reacting to enemy attacks that outrange its main weapon would be nice as well (for example chaingunners moving a few tiles forward to retaliate against big spitter, that has better range and is attacking it). Late game its main reason why gunturrets lose their usefulness - enemy too often just ouranges them. Making them react to that would let them be equally useful at any stage of the game.

And also its just my opinion, but getting chain gunners without even having access to engines is kind of strange. If it was me, I'd make them available after automobilism research and at least use 5-6 engines in crafting recipe. Makes more sense.

7 years ago

You can build steam engines and transport belt with no research at all. Think of it as a gun turret on a steam engine on up-side-down transport belt.

The ramming to death thing wouldn't be a problem if I could rely on biter AI to do it's job. The workaround means they're blind and stupid. I've updated the Unit Remote Controller shift-click to distribute move_to commands over the selected area so vehicles bump in to each other less. In the future they may be potential for more organised mass movement.

7 years ago

Many thanks. I was already enjoying completely trashing any biter base I came across with 3-4 chaingunners (full bullet damage research) and now it will be even more enjoyable.

7 years ago

i downloaded this mod and all the dependancies i could find, but there are parts missing. is there somewhere with the full mod to drop in and have it work?