Will-o'-the-Wisps updated

A glowing enigmatic life form was found to inhabit alien forests at night. Based on the original mod by Betep3akata. Probably won't work in multiplayer.

Content
1 year, 1 month ago
0.16 - 1.1
Enemies

b [fixed] Not work with Industrial Evolution

4 years ago

Hello,

The mod is great!
Unfortunately, it does not work properly with the industrial revolution.
All Wisps spawn correctly. But the UV lamp can not be researched. It can not be found in research at all. According to FNEI, there is not even a recipe.
Can you fix this?

I also use the following mods: Inlaid UV Lamp and Inlaid Lamps Extended
(Of course I have many other mods ...
Do you need the complete mod list?)

I would be happy to use this mod. It brings life to this foreign and gloomy planet ... :)

(Sorry, my englisch is not so good ...)

Greetings, Illyria

mk-fg β˜†
3 years ago

Not sure if it's still relevant, given that afaik Industrial Revolution was abandoned (for somewhat sad reasons).
But if it works with current factorio, guess can be fixed by adding a check for some of its techs, which would be appropriate to unlock these lamps.

3 years ago

He gave up on her because his rights were violated. And certain Youtubers made money with it. And the mod is said to have been stolen from him.
Industrial revolution was a great mod ...
I also find it sad.
One of the best mods I knew.
Until I met Krastorio 2.
Still, I still have the old Industrial Revolution Mod.
I don't know if I'll play the 0.79 version again. I'm used to 1.0. But if Industrial Revolution is really dead, maybe I'll play it again someday.
Then I would really appreciate your mod ...

I still remember the bug. He was weird ...
Everything worked. Only the lamps weren't there.
First of all, I'm happy that I can play will-o'-the-wisps in my current game.

3 years ago

I wanted to say:
Regrettable that you were gone for so long. Without Pi-C one of the best mods would have died ...
But nice that you are back and carry on! Thank you!

mk-fg β˜†
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

It's probably not weird at all.
This mod adds its technologies/recipes to vanilla factorio research tree, and iirc Industrial Revolution had an entirely new tree, detached and very different from vanilla one, so of course this mod adding them to the old tree was kinda pointless, as all these techs were hidden by the mod.

Fix is pretty straightforward too - grab the mod, add check for its presence, and add techs to where it'd be appropriate in that mod when it's detected.

Regrettable that you were gone for so long. Without Pi-C one of the best mods would have died ...

I'll almost certainly be gone again, as I don't really play same games forever, and there are so many other interesting and great games to play all the time.
Felt the urge to get back to Factorio after hearing about 1.0 release though, and yeah, playing with K2 mod now myself, it feels very fresh and interesting.

Maintaining something complicated that you don't use yourself is almost impossible (aside from a job, in which case there're other motivators) - as recent bugs show, unless you actually play with and test the mod, there will be bugs, and every fix have to be tested likewise, and doing all that is obviously hard when you don't really care to even play the game yourself.

That's what's nice about non-restrictive licenses though - anyone else who is interested in the mod can take over and keep it alive.
This one in particular wasn't even made by me at all, it's by Betep3akata, they came up with the idea, pretty much all graphics and such. I'd say mod was same as it is now by 80-90% back around 0.13.x-0.14.x when they worked on it, I only added green wisps, wisp lamp drones and tweaked a bunch of things internally.

Pi-C indeed did a great job of fixing compatibility issues, though I think more important aspect is just maintaining "it's still alive" appearance, i.e. not having a 100 unanswered threads, outdated info and releases, etc, and that probably takes even more dedication, so hat's off for that even more :)

3 years ago

It's probably not weird at all.
This mod adds its technologies/recipes to vanilla factorio research tree, and iirc Industrial Revolution had an entirely new tree, detached and very different from vanilla one, so of course this mod adding them to the old tree was kinda pointless, as all these techs were hidden by the mod.
Logical explanation ... That explains a lot.

Fix is pretty straightforward too - grab the mod, add check for its presence, and add techs to where it'd be appropriate in that mod when it's detected.
Unfortunately I can't modding ... I don't even know where to start.
I write German translations for some mods, but I don't understand anything about modding.

I'll almost certainly be gone again, as I don't really play same games forever, and there are so many other interesting and great games to play all the time.
Felt the urge to get back to Factorio after hearing about 1.0 release though, and yeah, playing with K2 mod now myself, it feels very fresh and interesting.
I almost thought so ... But I don't "just" play Factorio either ...
But I understand it. Of course you also need variety. But personally I would check in between to see if people from my mods need help. Just my opinion ...

Maintaining something complicated that you don't use yourself is almost impossible (aside from a job, in which case there're other motivators) - as recent bugs show, unless you actually play with and test the mod, there will be bugs, and every fix have to be tested likewise, and doing all that is obviously hard when you don't really care to even play the game yourself.
I understand that. Of course, it can also be hard work, constantly updating the mods, checking for bugs, repairing them, etc. And if the motivation is missing ... okay.
Just in case, you have Pi-C to support you, who will maintain your mod.
Fortunately, since Factorio is finally 1.0, it hardly needs any updates. So you can relax a little more ...

That's what's nice about non-restrictive licenses though - anyone else who is interested in the mod can take over and keep it alive.
This one in particular wasn't even made by me at all, it's by Betep3akata, they came up with the idea, pretty much all graphics and such. I'd say mod was same as it is now by 80-90% back around 0.13.x-0.14.x when they worked on it, I only added green wisps, wisp lamp drones and tweaked a bunch of things internally.
Hmm, there's something to it ...
Mods can be maintained by anyone if the license is free.
But Deadlock obviously didn't want it.
But I can also understand his point of view. It's one thing if a mod is kept alive. But another one, if Youtubers earn money with your mod.
That would annoy me as well ...
I read through his forum post. He was pissed off ...
I like your modification with the green will-o'-the-wisps and the lantern. I find it interesting when suddenly several green will-o'-the-wisps curiously fly after you.
I didn't have the lantern yet. I often had to start over because of updates.

Pi-C indeed did a great job of fixing compatibility issues, though I think more important aspect is just maintaining "it's still alive" appearance, i.e. not having a 100 unanswered threads, outdated info and releases, etc, and that probably takes even more dedication, so hat's off for that even more :)

Yes i agree Pi-C's work has been really great. As I wrote above and in a previous post, the mod would have been dead without him.
And now an old and well-known bug has finally been fixed. So the one that the will-o'-the-wisps were at war with the player ...
Or was that "digital_pet" from "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes"?

mk-fg β˜†
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Fortunately, since Factorio is finally 1.0, it hardly needs any updates. So you can relax a little more ...

Tbh I don't know if it's a good thing or bad in general.
Half the fun of factorio was that it was pretty much a new game every time you went back to it, but guess all things have to come to an end eventually :(

There are probably good tutorials on the forums, but never really checked myself.
Don't think it's difficult at all, but I'm very biased, as I've been coding for a long time, so can't really see things from the opposite perspective at this point.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

There's a list of tutorials on the Factorio wiki, you definitely should check out Gangsir's modding tutorial. If you're serious about modding Factorio, you should keep a link to the Factorio API handy -- takes a while to get used to it, but it's an invaluable reference. If you don't know anything about Lua, here's a link to the Reference manual of the Lua version used by Factorio. It is a bit technical, so searching for "lua guide" I came up with this tutorial. Just skimmed some pages right now, I'm not really familiar with it myself, but it seems to be a bit easier to read (perhaps because it's divided into subpages, not just one big wall of text).

You also should check out Eradicator's Hand Crank Generator Deluxe. It's a mod giving you a new entity, but it also has some control scripting. Best of all, it "contains extensive code comments for aspiring modders" -- I've looked over it this morning, and there was something in there I didn't know about yet. Anyway, eradicator knows quite a lot about Lua (the code snippet that caused the crashes in the previously-released-but-taken-down-again versions of this mod was by him -- and just in case you wonder how that could be a recommendation: there are people who believe it's good to cause hard crashes in order to expose hidden bugs that are hard to find otherwise), and I've found the comments are written in an understandable way, explaining the reasoning behind some of the code.

3 years ago

I'm also concerned that Wube won't do anything with Factorio after the 1.0 version. I loved to keep discovering new graphics or trying out new items.
Of course, some mod developers lost the fun of keeping their mods up to date. I understand that! But still ... New features are great!
At least for the player.

mk-fg and Pi-C:
Thank you both for suggesting a tutorial for programming mods.
Especially to you, Pi-C, for taking the trouble and picking out links to tutorials for me.
Oh well. I have the translator to help with written tutorials. For video tutorials I will probably only understand the pictures. Unfortunately not what was said. My English is too bad for that.
But it's worth a try!
As soon as I have the time, I'll check out the tutorials and see what I learn ...
Then maybe I understand what you two are doing. ;)

Yes, if I suspect a bug, I also like to provoke crashes. This is how I found the bug in this mod after killing the red will-o'-the-wisp.
No idea why. I always find bugs.
I think the first modding I try is understanding mods that already exist. And when I completely disassemble a mod to test it.

I found the tutorial in the "Handcrank Generator Deluxe" mod! Very detailed ... Really good!
Should I ever have an idea, all I need is graphics. ;)
I once had an idea for a third network cable. In blue. Because I always quickly reached my limits when wiring a combiner. I like to experiment with network circuits.

3 years ago

Hello again

I discovered an updated version of IR that I'm playing again (to 1.0).
Of course, the above Bug still present.
You say fixing this problem is easy.
Where and in which file of your mod would I have to change the entry?

Usually the UV lamp is activated by solar energy research. If I want to put the UV lamp on optics, where do I make which entry?
Experimentally I have the entry in "Control.lua"
"if force.technologies ['optics']. researched" <- set to optics. Unfortunately, that didn't work ...
I cannot research and build them.
And FNEI does not show the UV lamp. As if it doesn't even exist ...
The revised version of IR I Play is as follows:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SchmindustrialRevolution

I looked at the links on how to modded. But my problem with English stands a little in the way. It would take a long time to partially understand. : /

Please help me ... :(
I love IR, and I love the "will-o'-the-wisps" mod. And I don't want to play without the will-o'-the-wisps.
I would be very grateful!!

mk-fg β˜†
3 years ago

Yeah, will fix, should be easy.

People in the discussion thread there seem to suggest that mod copy might be removed soon though:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SchmindustrialRevolution/discussion/5f6c141ce4ef62f0db220e40

mk-fg β˜†
3 years ago

Should be fixed in 0.3.7.
I think only UV lamp "solar-panels" tech was missing there (tech tree uses multiple deadlock-solar-energy-X levels intead), but the other techs like laser and combat-robotics are all there, and seem to be at the roughly same progression level as in base game.

3 years ago

I've already read the post.
However, they don't seem to fully agree on what could happen to the mod.
I would like the mod not to be deleted.
Deadlock had created a great modpack!
And it became a wonderful classic!
Better yet, deadlock returned.

Strange that a technology becomes unresearchable because of a multi-nested solar energy technology tree ...

YEAAAAAAAHH, the UV lamps are finally researchable and buildable!
Many Thanks!
You made me very happy with it!
Now I can finally play IR with your will-o'-the-wisp mod. EXCELLENT!

2 years ago

IR2 changed some tech names, so again UV-lamps won't be unlocked when it's active. This change to prototypes/changes.lua (line 89) will fix it:

-- add_tech_unlock('deadlock-solar-energy-1', 'UV-lamp') -- industrial revolution mod
add_tech_unlock('ir2-solar-energy-1', 'UV-lamp') -- industrial revolution mod
mk-fg β˜†
2 years ago

Added it in 0.3.27, thank you!

2 years ago

Thanks for the quick fix! :-)

New response