Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

g [Question] Why mods to enable features?

3 years ago

I noticed your mods to enable certain features are empty mods that have no data. I checked the init settings file, and its in there. Virtually, this could all be done with startup settings to enable or disable the features your other mods do rather than needing another mod to do it.

Why not just add boolean settings to toggle those features? Just curious is all.

The Merge All Chests could be boolean settings for each chest type, just list "Wood Chest" "Iron Chest" "Steel Chest" "Bobs Chests" as the four booleans, and any other mods can add compatibility themselves unless you end up having a high volume of requests for additional support or some such.

The Unlimited Values mod, well thats even easier, just erase the protection limits and add warnings to the settings descriptions about whats beyond safe. Your settings already have a minimum value with no max setting set so its already possible without the mod by the looks of it.

I'm not complaining, I am just wondering why it was done like this is all when it might have been easier as settings.

3 years ago

To tell the truth, it didn't even occur to me it could be done with mod settings. I guess I wasn't keen on adding more mod setting.

But when I now think about it, the mod settings would be bad, because of people like "I didn't know what I was doing, I accidentaly put couple of 0 at the end of the limits in mod setting and now the game takes 30 minutes to load and takes 50GB of memory" and only way to fix this would be "delete mod setting file". Like this you can select disable all mods, reenable base mod, fix setting, reenable other mods.

And nobody reads warnings in the setting screen, so this happened quite a lot (you can check the previous discussions).

Of course now there are discussions like "the limits in mod setting are capped at 42", but I think I prefer that :D .

3 years ago

You can always limit the mod settings with a min-max, and with plenty of warnings in there to ensure people don't accidentally put too much in there, no one can complain because the warnings were there. :P

You can't fix the setting in a mod you disable by the way. The settings vanish with the mod, and come back at what they used to be when you re-enable the mod. The devs don't offer you a way to fix settings anymore because they encrypted the settings file, which used to be plain text.

One mod adds colored text to the mod settings, maybe that could be a good method of warnings that stand out? I'm not sure how he did it, its the first mod I've ever seen do it interestingly.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Shortcuts-ick (The mod that adds colored settings)

3 years ago

People just don't read warnings and it's kind of dickish to say "screw them" if they don't read them. Especially if current solution protects them from themself.

Well, you can fix the mod setting in this case, because by default there is a hard limit of 42 in the code, while mod settings don't have upper limit. And when Unlimited mod is enabled, this hard limit is removed from the code. Disabling the Unlimited mod again will let the game load with relatively no trouble, where you can then fix the mod settings and reenable Unlimited.

New response