Warmonger

Creep from Krastorio2 without entire K2. A lot of changes (only graphics and basic creep idea taken). Best played with Rampant.

Content
8 months ago
Combat Enemies Environment

i Creeper?

2 years ago

Any chance you could incorporate the mechanics from Creeper? (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/creeper)

(Creep grows towards pollution)

2 years ago

If you play w/o Rampant especially in some kind of peaceful environment (not expanding enemies), you can edit these 2 lines in creeper mod's info:
"factorio_version": "1.1",
"dependencies": ["base >= 1.0.0", "? Warmonger >= 1.0.0", "? Krastorio2 >= 1.0.0"]

Creeper works fine together with Warmonger. Just tested. Default spread factor 7 is way too much. Here is an example https://imgur.com/a/jh64QnI .

If you play with Rampant I assure you that you will have a lot of creep. Since Rampant1.0.6 it sieges and expands quite a lot if you provoke biters anyhow (not stale evo, producing pollution, attacking nests). In upcoming Rampant1.2 even more creep will be generated (with nests/worms upgrade).

I'm against combining big mods with different features. Creeper is about passive creep growth. Warmonger is about biters expansion related creep generation and vanilla military science (will add support for IR2 military science pack recipe soon).

2 years ago

Fair points.

And I like multiple smaller mods over larger all-encompassing mods. Good UNIX philosophy.

I wasn't worried about getting enough creep, I just like the idea of it growing towards your base as an aesthetic thing :-)

Now I just need to figure out a way to automate creep collection.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Rampant generates not only nice looking areas of creep, but waves of some live action towards your base.
I'll add a pair of gameplay moments in between creep and Rampant soon.

Now I just need to figure out a way to automate creep collection.

You can do it with construction bots, but it requires deconstruction planner selecting - almost as creep collector, but can be done from afar.
Fully automated creep collection can be difficult - it's not entity like alien artifacts in other mods.
IMHO it's not needed unless in combo with artillery maybe. For "new enemies" Rampant mode artillery even with Rampant Arsenal will work not always effectively.

I'm focused on Rampant "new enemies" gameplay and warmonger features around it. Automation ideas are only 50% of Factorio with it. More hack&slash/RTS play style. Not everyone like it.

2 years ago

I'm absolutely using Rampant with new enemies (and full tiers), and I'm also using (my) RTS mods, so I clear nests away from both my walls and my engineer.

Construction bots pulling it up is enough. I can set something up with biter detector and recursive blueprints given that if I need to.

2 years ago

I suppose Creeper mod may have problems with both Krastorio2 and Warmonger in the future, because it doesn't use special remote interface for spawning creep (like Rampant does), but generates creep tiles manually.
Example: in some rare case Creeper may (I'm not sure - didn't test it) generate corrupted tiles under player's building if not protected by concrete. Such building won't be corroded - no fun.

2 years ago

Creeper is MIT-lisenced, and hasn't been updated in forever.

I'm sure you could fork it with appropriate fixes if you wanted to.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Possible plan if taking the feature of Creeper:
1. creep grows only if its host nest gets into pollution area. Perhaps not far away from nest - 2 or 3 chunks maximum. Player must be punished for more to keep game balance.
2. creep expands in direction of more "dirty" chunks (as it is now in Creeper). And does it slower than in Creeper.
3. creep pollution evolution factor is generated and added into evolution only when creep takes a tile (expanding occurs). Therefore if no nests are under pollution cloud or there is no place to expand to -> no evolution rise takes place. Evolution factor is crucial for player survival in Rampant mod.
4. no accidental creep tiles generation when biter is killed. It conflicts with Warmonger mod idea of biomass hunt. Therefore no free creep.
5. no creep burning, or keep it optional as in Creeper now (why should it burn when oil resources do not? It's much less inflammable than trees are).
6. path tiles protection or overcoming is under question.

General idea is that biters are natives on this planet and their goal isn't to cover entire planet with creep. They live in peace with nature, plant creep only around their dwellings when everything is quiet. Player forces them to expand creep.

And more important idea - creep expansion must not prevail biters activity and migration. Therefore most funny things can be done only in Rampant (for example tunnel attacks or unexpected hidden out-of-nowhere migrations against artillery attacks).

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

5 no creep burning, or keep it optional as in Creeper now (why should it burn when oil resources do not? It's much less inflammable than trees are).

Well, it is organic material, right? (And with the right mod, oil resources do burn. ;) )

It would be nice to have a method to automatically clean up/keep back creep that's still "alive", though such methods should not yield biomass. Either by allowing flamethrower turrets to target and burn it up, or via some other method that simply "repels" it (like will-o-the-wisps UV lamps).

2 years ago

With actual biomass to biters research ratio (7:1) and double technologies cost option selected (e.g. early-mid Gut Turrets Mk2 tech is 1k military science packs -> 3500 biomass) I have some lack of creep, and even more hungry for pending walls upgrade. So I have to purge peaceful natives far outside my pollution area, because I don't play with actual version of Creeper.
But I assume that with normal tech cost and with no Rampant Arsenal mod (not useful when playing without Rampant new enemies) or with Creeper installed one can burn creep just for fun or to decrease creep evolution factor.
Ok, I'll put it in list if I find time for Creeper mod forking. Thanks for idea.

2 years ago

Another concern is if protected creep can burn or not. If it can, then it breaks the game balance (no need to go into creep in difficult situations if it is easier to burn the field and waste some biomass). If it can't, then how this is possible that nests protect it from fire.

2 years ago

If not too complicated, creep within a certain radius from the nests is protected. If it creeps too far away from the nest, then it's no longer protected.

I guess what is going through my mind, I tend to not clear out biter expansions that come closer. I don't use artillery, nor do I always go out and clean them back unless I want to. As such, I don't want to be put into a situation where I have to keep them back, you know?

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
:)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hmm, maybe that wouldn't work, either. At least something for a repellent or other type of "no creep gets past me" kind of thing? I don't know if maybe concrete or other floor tiles could help here? Creep can't spread to where where there is a (valid) floor tile (and you can't place the floor tile where there is creep). Would give a use behind placing these with your defensive line beyond cosmetics or giving you a speed boost while doing a tour-de-France of your defense wall. Could also make it so it has to be at least X tiles deep, otherwise the creep can "jump" it.

Although, this then acts as a counter to something you mentioned before, the creep being a deterrent/extra challenge to turret creep. You could go so far as to make it so you can't place the floor tiles within X tiles of creep (the ground is too unstable from advanced tendrils of the creep?), but then I can't come up with any valid reasons why creep shouldn't be able to eventually degrade the floor tiles and push their way in, anyway, or a counter method to it. Unless... creep generally grows far enough from the nest that turrets placed at the edge are out of range anyway? Then you could have the creep be able to grow right up to the tiles and place the tiles right up to the creep and it (shouldn't) affect this and thus no need for the tile degrading system.

2 years ago

When/if you do turn on the creeping creep could you mark creeper incompatible?

2 years ago

When/if you do turn on the creeping creep could you mark creeper incompatible?

I don't plan to merge it into Warmonger, only update remote function for placing creep. Therefore I'll fork Creeper and add function call. It will still be a separate mod (and that one will confict with old Creeper). I'm more playing than modding - maybe later will do what I wrote in "possible plan", because I have other ideas for Warmonger to implement first, making creep still dangerous in late stages of game (when "turrets creep" is succeeded with rockets, mortars and artillery).

2 years ago

Made a fork with creep API support:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Creeper2

2 years ago

Woop!

Thank you :D:D:D

2 years ago

mmm, I made one mistake in Warmonger. Updating now. Sorry.

3 months ago
(updated 3 months ago)

is there anyway to turn off all the recipes this mod has

New response