Train Network for Players

by leeh

QoL and advanced functionality for players using trains for transport, including improved destination selection dialog and automated train calling.

Content
1 year, 7 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

b Train summon tool takes LTN stops for TNfP stops

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I believe, when you connect a constant combinator to any station, the train summon tool does not check, whether the combinator has TNfP signal on it. So it summons a train to any nearby station, that has a combinator attached to it. And that might be an LTN station

3 years ago

Yeah the only restrictions on summoning trains are to LTN depots and TSM suppliers (as they modify a trains schedule in conflicting ways) and trains stops added by unknown mods -- but otherwise everythings treated as a safe station to dispatch to.

Is there a technical reason to avoid LTN stops in that way as its causing issues, or is it more of a playing style thing? I can probably extend the config to make it possible to completely ignore LTN for the latter, but I dont generally use LTN enough to know if its causing specific problems.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

A simple case is: you have several close stops at an outpost: LTN coal, LTN light oil for flamethrowers, non-LTN ammo supply, non-LTN artillery, and - a bit further away - a TNfP shuttle.
You summon a train, and it suddenly goes to LTN coal instead of TNfP.

As a player I would expect the following priority:
- if a TNfP stop is in range, summon to this stop
- if no TNfP stop is in range, summon to the closest non-LTN station, as it is probably a shuttle station
- if only LTN stops are in range, that's definitely not where you want your shuttle to come; but a per-player option could permit that

3 years ago

Ah yeah, at present it'll pick the closest station thats valid rather than attempting any kind of prioritisation.

It seems reasonable to make it a little more intelligent, so I'll take a look amongst some other GUI rework now 0.18 is settling down on its styling.

3 years ago

I was about to ask the same thing. My LTN stations are designed in such a way that the only exit is the unloading/loading station, meaning once I summon a train and he enters a LTN station, he is stuck until there is no longer a LTN train in the station.
I have a small Personal Train Stop for each station to prevent that but if I summon a train, it chooses the LTN station over my Personal Stop.

The suggestion of Dragonling sounds perfect.

Otherwise, great mod.

3 years ago

I've released 0.11.0 which includes an update so the 'Modded Train Stop Dispatch Behaviour' now has an 'Ignore' option. When set, all modded train-stops are treated as invalid for any kind of dispatch (so when requesting a train, in the station select, etc).

Having released it though, I think whilst useful its also possibly a little extreme. Theres some prioritisation already which seems to be working as intended, within the search radius it should prioritise any stop with a tnfp train waiting first and then tnfp stops over any other stop. I think its fair to extend that with some explicit code to deprioritise LTN stops so they can still be in the station select and I'll take a look into that.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

*Thumbs up*

3 years ago

Slightly more distracted by rimworld than I'd planned, but thats all done now.

v0.11.1 will now prioritise regular train stops over LTN stops when searching for a location, and the is-ltn-depot exclusions been fixed. The dynamic stop logic should also hopefully be a lot better now its using native 0.18 features to dispatch directly to a rail entity.

3 years ago

Ahh, Rimworld, that's a serious thing, yes =) Let's celebrate with a smokeleaf!

New response