Schall Transport Group

Put transport subgroup into a separate new “Transport” group tab, containing all vanilla and most modded vehicles. Designed for players who have lots of modded vehicles cluttering the “Logistics” tab. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Português Brasileiro, Русский) To fellow modders: Please consider putting your modded vehicles in this group as well! Only minor modifications are needed. Instructions included in FAQ.

Utilities
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation Trains

g [Solved] names of mods (for this mod and in general)

4 years ago

when i had to reorganize my modpack for 0.18, i wanted to include this mod too, but it took me half an hour to find it in the modlist : all your other mods are named "Schall xxx" while this mod is only named "xxx" ("Transport Group" instead of "Schall Transport Group") ...

names of mods seem to be a general problem of the mod portal and the game : in the list of mods to install (second tab in the ingame portal) they have one name (the mod filename?), while in the list of mods to enable/disable (first tab in the ingame portal) they have a different name (the "title" of the mod?). question to the devs: bug or feature?

anyway, i found it now and will enjoy having all vehicles and their accessories on one tab ingame :-)

4 years ago

OK, for the mod name only, I can reconsider adding *back" the prefix, if majority of other mod authors (who are using feature of this mod) do not object to the idea.
Apart from "Hovercrafts" by Arcani_Victus, do you know any other mods that are using this tab?

================

Your simple question actually points to a much bigger problem in general, which has been a years-long problem.
Currently, mods are handled differently, when clicked to be sorted by name:
1/ In "Install" tab, mods are sorted by "Title" string in info.json file. No localization.
2/ In "Manage" tab, mods are sorted by Localized Name, set within locale files of the interface language. If it is absent, it will pick the Localized Name of default language (en). If it is absent also, it will pick the "Title" string in info.json file.

In the users' perspective (like us):
Yes, it is unfriendly to search. It is even worse for non-English users. Because from 2 (their installed mods) have their familiar nice localized mod titles; they will not find the matching names in the "Install" tab. They will have to look for the other sources to know which mods they are looking up...

But I can also understand in devs' persepective:
Because mods (and locale files) of installed mods are already loaded ingame. So mod names in the "Manage" tab are already localized. Usually users have less than 100 mods installed, so in general no big deal.
But the "Install" tab is a different story. It includes all mods on the mod portal. (Several thousands?) Getting all those localized names from mods can be much more work. (Not to forget, there are lots of language packs that alter other mod names, including mine.) It either have to be read everytime (crawling into ZIP files and parse texts is not nice), or pre-stored on mod file server (adds to server storage size and costs).

A famous modder, who also provided multi-language mods, has actually requested for multi-lingual support on mod portal last year. But the dev has rejected the proposal at that time. I am not sure if devs will reconsider it again, after game 1.0 launches or whenever.

4 years ago

Just to notice you that the mod name has "prefix" now, in 0.17.3 / 0.18.1.

New response