Schall Railway Controller

Assist train organizations and dispatches. Adds a GUI listing idling and stalled trains (or other customizable filters). Displays train status, for easy and quick schedule inspection and assignment. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Português Brasileiro)

Utilities
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Trains

i [Pending] wishlist: count on the button is "interesting trains" not "all trains"

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

G'day. I'd love to be able to have the gui button badged with the "interesting train count", rather than the total train count.

I'm not sure if my definition of interesting includes or excludes "idle too long", but it probably excludes "idle at a station" too long. I use personal transport trains, which sit idle until I need one, and LTN trains, which can sit idle at their depot for a while before being used.

I know that is kinda personal taste, and all, but I think I care about "all trains, except the ones working fine, and the ones that are idle at a station"

If the GUI number showed me that -- or there was some other visible alert for the "interesting" ones -- I'd be very happy.

PS: I know I'm throwing a bunch of stuff at you. Partly because your mod is so awesome, and replaces several others that are less good, and less integrated.

I trust you to know they are just "wishes", and that if you say "no" for any reason -- or without one -- I'll still be very happy.

3 years ago

Right, I have also thought about this before release.
For the number on mod button, I have thought of two numbers that can be used:
1/ The total count.
2/ Number of listed trains. (After all the buttons and filters...)
Advantages of using choice 1 are being simplest and fastest. It consumes less UPS by having no additional calculation required, though it is really not much.
Advantages of using choice 2 is being directly reflecting on what the user interacts with the filters. By having "correct" filters, a non-zero number will notify the user that some trains need attention. However, there are downsides as well. If the user sets "wrong" filters and forget that, the permanent zero may give a wrong idea that everything is going well...
I guess your suggestion can be "simplified" to choice 2. I prefer the number to be "in sync" with GUI list instead of some additional status condition, or else other users may have no idea what the number really means...

But by weighing the benefits with potential harm, finally I have chosen choice 1 to get displayed on mod button.
Maybe in the future I will see if I can introduce option for users to choose what number to be displayed, after attending to more urgent updates.

Thanks for your comment! Good to hear that this mod is useful to you.
Yea, the most important reason for creating this mod, is that I want to have a constantly updated list of "in trouble" trains only, saving my time to find them out. It is totally inefficient having to check if there are any "in trouble" trains among a pile of "good" trains. There are quite a few trains mod on portal, but I am so surprised that none of them let me achieve this... So I decided to DIY create one for myself.
In my games, I painted my trains to OCD categorize them. So after the core feature, I also added the colour, rename, line features and all the templates support to help myself organizing the trains.
I built this mod for myself, so there could be a lot of fine details that do not suit anyone. Feel free to point them out! :-D

3 years ago

I built this mod for myself, so there could be a lot of fine details that do not suit anyone. Feel free to point them out! :-D

I figure that everything I ask for is the detail that suits me, and I might be the only person in the world who thinks that way. :)

I use LTN and some automatic color mods, locos show their "dynamic state", as in "running", "slowing to signal", "slowing to stop", with color for me. So some of the really nice things like adjusting lines ... I'm not using now, but i'm wondering if they do enough that I can ditch the complexity and go with the simple version you have. :)

New response