Schall Railway Controller

Assist train organizations and dispatches. Adds a GUI listing idling and stalled trains (or other customizable filters). Displays train status, for easy and quick schedule inspection and assignment. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Português Brasileiro)

Utilities
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Trains

i [Solved] "pointy" train description format

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

G'day. You asked for personal preferences for descriptions, so mine:

<L-CC-<L-CC-<L
<L-CC-L>-L>

locomotives are "<L" or "L>" to indicate direction.
locomotives attach to things with a "-" between them, including other locomotives.
carriages are marked with "C", one per.

if you felt extra fancy, "C"argo, "F"luid, and "A"rtillery wagons instead of just "C"arriages would work out too. (optionally, the first letter of their name or something, for mod support.)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Yes, I also saw this notation somewhere. Yet I decided to wait for a chance (to ask someone like you) to know more info before implementing.
So it seems "-" is used between every groups. Then I realize in your second example, where you also use "-" between two consecutive locomotives of the same direction. So is it an exception rule?
Here are three example train, to see if my "interpretation" is correct or not:

A/ LCCCCL

<L-CCCC-L>

B/ LCCCCFFCCCCL

<L-CCCC-FF-CCCC-L>

C/ LLLCCCCCCCC

<L-<L-<L-CCCCCCCC

The carriage symbols "L", "C", "F", "A", "V" are already implemented, in case you have not realized them yet. They are all mentioned on FAQ page.

3 years ago

Ah, I thought it was used to show "connection between different types of things", and "<L<L<L-CCCC" looks a bit odd to me compared to "<L-<L-<L-CCCC", but either one works fine. So, uh, your call I guess?

I didn't notice, that, indeed. The FAQ is comprehensive which is great, and I'm sure i missed some other stuff too. :)

3 years ago

I see your point.
I am thinking of breaking down the different components into a few options, so either can be picked (as it is a matter of personal taste anyway, not right-or-wrong):
- Locomotive direction: Same ("L", "L"), Pointy ("<L", "L>"), Case ("L", "l")
- Connection: None, Between groups, Between groups and each locomotive
- Notation: Explicit, Group, Short
- etc.

So the preference you requested would be "Explicit Notation" + "Connection between groups and each locomotive" + "Pointy".
I guess that would be more flexible. (Though I probably have to expand FAQ to describe a few combination examples.)

3 years ago

The new options are implemented in recent release 0.17.1 / 0.18.1.
You need to set following options to achieve the representation you have described:
- Notation: Explicit Notation
- Locomotive direction: Pointer (Wrapping)
- Connection sign position: Between groups or Locomotives

Yet you may play around with the settings. The FAQ is updated to show some examples.

New response