Ribbon Maze Varient deprecated

The maze itself is destined to be automated.

Content
5 years ago
Environment

g Changes merged into main Ribbon Maze mod

5 years ago

Hello illiander42,

I reviewed and merged your ideas into Ribbon Maze, version 0.6.8. I kept most of the changes but fixed various bugs, and made the mangrove handling more like the change in our discussion earlier this month: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RibbonMaze/discussion/5c296114dd11c4000ba490d9

If you're interested in contributing, how about submitting pull requests through github? That way, we can work together on a single mod. I think that'll be much better for players, than two slightly different mods on the portal.

You can leave the boring stuff to me that way too (testing for backwards compatibility is a big part of maintaining this mod).

5 years ago

Honestly, that would be wonderful. I'll need to figure out github though.

Basically, I had a Sunday free after I finished a vanilla run, hadn't seen an update here for about a month, and wanted to start an angelbob run in the maze.

Updating Ribbon Maze now to take a look.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

With 0.17 being due any time soon, my plan is to keep 0.16 as stable as possible, ideally only bug fixes, so that I don't have a high maintenance effort on two versions. That's the only reason I haven't released any changes in the last few weeks. Your fork forced my hand a bit, because I either had to accept all the ideas in it, or potentially see the player base split. It's not a huge player base as it is. I'd definitely encourage people to discuss, if they have any questions about time scales, or think their issue isn't getting the attention they wish. Nobody had before yesterday expressed a concern with the rate of updates, and I certainly had no idea anyone was contemplating a fork on the mod portal itself.

5 years ago

All makes sense. (I'm not expecting 0.17 for a while, personally)

The thing I feel worst about is that the way I did clearings stops the map generation being constant-time and makes them make loops, but the only other way I could see to do them would have required a complete rewrite of the maze generator, which I didn't want to do.

I didn't think any of the bits I added were controversial.

I'm happy to depreciate this, and work with you on Ribbon Maze. I guess I really should learn Git properly.

5 years ago

Since 0.17 got delayed from January, I'm less sure myself.

I like your changes, so no problem in that respect. I think the clearings change can be optimized later, and it will be negligible for existing games/default settings (I left the default as a "perfect" maze).

5 years ago

P.S. And thank you for contributing changes! I look forward to your first P.R. :)

New response