Connect rails to electric and signals circuits, and use electric trains

Content
10 days ago
0.14 - 1.1
Transportation

g Invisible non-removable entities after rails removal

4 years ago

Hello,
First of all I want to thank you for your great mod, as a train lover myself I find it much more convenient to use rails rather than poles to spread my power grid!
I have recently encountered a problem when playing while I try to build my railway alongside canals to use with boats from the "cargo ships" mod. It took a bit of time and a messed up save to understand how to correctly place bridges, but I eventually figured out how to to it reliably.
Onto a new save, I started with the rails then dug the canals. But at certain places I removed some rails to place water instead, and it would seem that some entities stayed after rail removal. Unfortunately it then prevents the bridge construction. I suspect those are hidden electric wires, I can sort of see it on the save thumbnail & there are icons for unconnected power on display ingame. On normal settings I can see tiny white dots on these spots, & the debug settings confirm there are some entities.
I have tried many things, including use of the console & searched all discussion threads here, to no avail :(
I'm especially sceptical since I saw on the "changelog" list that something that may look just like this problem was fixed in a recent version (& I do have an updated one). I'm really at a loss here so any ideas are welcome!

Thanks for your time.

PS : It is the first time I ever make a post here so forgive me if I screwed up somewhere :)

4 years ago

If it is of any help I took a screenshot that you can hopefully see here
https://imgur.com/a/UGKBkKy

4 years ago

I am also having this exact issue, just so the developer knows it's a common problem.

4 years ago

@Garogoriy: Oh, my, you totally screwed up!! :D just kidding
No need to try or search a solution, this is definitely a bug in my program, though. Especially if other people have this issue. Sorry for that.
I will try to fix it this week end (No time before, sorry).
In the meanwhile, can you both confirm that you have the very last version (0.4.0)? As you mentioned, it should have be en fixed, and I didn't see it during my tests. But I may have miss it.
Thanks a lot for the feedback and the nice word about my mods, I always enjoy it :D
Cheers
Niko

4 years ago

Hi Niko
Thanks for your answer.
It would appear that I run the 0.3.9 version of your mod & the 0.17.79 Factorio version, which is the latest stable version available.
There is no option to update your mod to 4.0 through the ingame mods portal for me, probably because I'm still in 0.17.x I would guess.
I may look to update both the game & mod version later that week after I check that all mods I currently use are available for 0.18.x.

Merci encore et bonne semaine!

4 years ago

I can confirm I'm running 0.4.0 on Factorio 0.18.8. The entity that's left behind is called "entity-name.rail-accu", if that helps.

4 years ago

I've also stumbled upon a few that don't have alerts and are therefore much harder to notice, they're called "entity-name.electric-node" Here's a picture of two of them: https://i.imgur.com/BVIUOoR.jpg

4 years ago

I do love the mod by the way, it's a great idea and for the most part is well executed, very cool to play around with. It's just a bit of a pain to have to swap to the editor every time I want to remove some rails. Hopefully you can fix it when you have time, until then I'll just keep using the editor because I love the mod and I'd hate to have to swap back to normal rails.

4 years ago

Another small issue is that rails occupy the connection slots of nearby poles meaning those poles can't connect to anything else. Obviously the nature of the rails means that's not a huge issue, but if possible it'd be nice if they didn't do that since it stops me being able to run rails anywhere near power lines which isn't always practical.

4 years ago

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the late answer, I was quite busy.
So, for the last issue, I noticed it already. I try to fix it, but this is not easy.
For the other one (rail-accu left behind) I couldn't reproduce it.
Question: Did you open a new game, or an old one?
Does it happen all the time? If not, can you give me a clear step by step scenario?
I really hope I will find it.
Niko

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hey
It happened to me in new games that were started with the mod activated. As for the setup leading to it, I'd say it is a rather rare occurrence, I believe it only manifested when I was removing rails to then dig a canal, so it might be related to terrain manipulation?
Anyway, I managed to get rid of those entities with the editor that Bendigeidfran mentioned, which I had never heard of before so I learned something :)

New response