by Hermios

Connect rails to electric and signals circuits, and use electric trains

Content
10 days ago
0.14 - 1.1
Transportation

b failed to load - sprite rectangle is outside the actual sprite size

5 years ago

my map was running without error with lots (almost 200 :-) of mods, but after some changes (don't remember exactly which mods i added, including yours) i got this error on trying to start factorio:

Failed to load mods: The given sprite rectangle (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=102x102) is outside the actual sprite size (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=32x32).
Sprite name: RailPowerSystem/graphics/icons/empty.png.
If this is being used as an icon you may need to define the icon_size property: RailPowerSystem/graphics/icons/empty.png.
Mods to be disabled: Dectorio, Squeak Through, BigBags, RailPowerSystem, logicarts, FlareStack

starting factorio with ONLY your mod worked, just as well as starting factorio with ALL the same mods except for this one ... !?!

5 years ago

Well, this is quite weird
One question: You say first that you need to disable several Mods, but then, by only deactivating mine, it works... Can you explain further?
Otherwise, can you check that your other mods don't have any dependancy to mine? If yes, what happens when you deactivate those?
Cheers
Niko

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

none of my active mods has RailPowerSystem as a required dependency
(this was easy to check since i use the ModMyFactory utility which automatically enables all required dependencies, but it didn't enable your mod automatically and thus your mod is not a required dependency)

clarification to the first "One question":
the list of the 6 mods which i should disable was part of the error message by factorio
quite often those are mods which use similar methods, items, or are (partially) based on the same prototypes, but i found that those lists quite often list too many mods and/or that i still get different errors afterwards, but they are a quick start for users to clean up and disable some mods and be abe to start factorio at all.

that's why i did the next two tests, to verify that disabling only your mod was enough to make factorio work (no clearly visible interference between any of the other mods when i disabled only your mod, keeping all others), and to verify that without other mods your mod seems to work properly.

too bad that finding the exact combination of mods that result in the error when they are combined is a bit difficult since i have almost 750 mods downloaded in the mod directory and almost 200 of them enabled :-)

edit: i just tested starting factorio on my steam installation with just exactly those 6 mods that i was told to disable, and i still could start the game. thus the problem is not directly caused by one of them or having this set of mods enabled, but must be some interference between this mod and some unknown subset of my other enabled mods in my normal factorio installation.
btw: i had to do the test on the steam installation since any removal of mods causes me to lose the hotkeys of all disabled mods (problem in vanilla factorio), and with lots of mods i would need half an hour to reconfigure them all when i want to continue on my normal map after disabling and re-enabling most mods.

5 years ago

Sorry for the next question which is similar to the previous one, but since I am very confused, I prefer to ask:
Do you have any optional dependancy to my mod (I don't know if MyModFactory consider this case, I assume it does, but it costs nothing to ask).
And, do you have other of my mods?
While you answer, I'll try to find other possible situations, but frankly speaking, I doubt!
Sorry for that

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

do you have other of my mods?

yes, Auto Incrementer is installed and enabled

Do you have any optional dependancy to my mod (I don't know if MyModFactory consider this case, I assume it does, but it costs nothing to ask).

for each mod (or a group of selected mods), MMF can show all required dependencies, optionally also all optional dependencies, with an easy option to download some or all of them too. checking every single mod would take hours, but when i simply enabled ALL 0.16 mods that i had downloaded (no matter whether enabled or not) and let MMF search for any optional or required depenencies, i got a long list, and i could NOT find RailPowerSystem in that list. thus i assume that no other mod has this mod as required or optional dependency.
for quite some time i also seem to have deinstalled (not only disabed) FARL which is the only optional dependency of your mod.

looking at the error message again and being no modder, i can start making very wild guesses, eg:
- "sprite rectangle 102x102 is outside the actual sprite size 32x32" might hint that some graphics is rescaled and the corresponding parameter is missing in a prototype.
- a few factorio versions ago, they changed something about icons and many mods didn't work any longer until their icons were either adjusted or a new required parameter was added to the prototypes (icon_size=32 or something similar)
- sprite size (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=32x32) looks strange to me: from 0 to 32 is a size of 33 pixels !?
- several of my mods use graphics of other mods for some overlay to their items, eg logicarts allows to put down tiles that act as conditionals when routing the carts and puts downsized graphics of items on the map. or Deadlocks Stackers/Beltboxes derives its new items from other mod's icons. maybe a missing icon size or similar confuses mods

New response