Power Overload

Performant, semi-realistic power distribution overhaul. Power poles can explode if the total electrical consumption on the network is too high. Use transformers to separate networks so that subnetworks do not take more power than they can handle.

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Power

i [Completed-1.4.6] Two small suggestions

1 year, 4 months ago

Hello, thanks for the mod, I do have two small suggestions though. Would it be possible to get a toggle for connecting or not connecting wires when you place a power pole? As an example, I often have areas where I want to run multiple different networks through, but placing a pole will auto-connect to others of the same type (I have you disconnect different setting enabled) which often results in power overloads and significant damage.

It would be very helpful if it was possible to click a button to temporarily change to not connecting at all, then be able to switch it back when wanting to build normally again.

Similarly, it would be nice to have support for https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LightedPolesPlus which would just require adding a copy of every existing pole prefixed with "lighted-" and the same limit as the original.

1 year, 3 months ago

Sorry, I forgot about these :D
Both good suggestions, I'll plan to get to them sometime this week.

1 year, 3 months ago

Not a problem, there are plenty of distractions in life that are more important than random internet people. Thanks for considering the ideas.

1 year, 3 months ago

Do you think the shortcut should also apply to bots placing power poles, or only when the player places them? I'm thinking probably the latter, since otherwise you have to wait until all bots have finished whatever other builds they are doing before toggling it for your own placements. Although poles built as part of a blueprint have their own logic so this definitely wouldn't apply to them, only ghost poles placed individually by the player.

(Until 1.2 releases, I can't do anything to the ghost poles when placed by the player, only to the real pole once it has been revived by bots or the player.)

1 year, 3 months ago

I'd say only the player should be toggled on/off, both because it would be easier, as well as that it would be less complicated in terms of controlling it. Imagine someone using recursive blueprints and unaware their factory was in the middle of expanding itself. Toggle wire placement for a moment, hours later realize half the factory is starved because the auto-expansion didn't get power. Plus, how would it work across multiple surfaces in that case?

Far easier to just have it be player placement, less coding, and far less having to consider and deal with edge cases.

1 year, 3 months ago
(updated 1 year, 3 months ago)

So it definitely wouldn't apply to pole ghosts placed by blueprints since that uses a separate system that keeps all wire connections from the blueprint. It is just a question of if it should apply to pole ghosts placed individually by the player (but it wouldn't apply until they are actually built by a bot). I think yes, player-only is better.

As a side note, you mention recursive blueprints, which I hadn't considered. The current method for detecting if a ghost is built by blueprint wouldn't work with that mod anyway, so unless any improvements are made to the API in this area, I don't think anyone using that mod is going to have a good time...

1 year, 3 months ago

Both of these are done now in v1.4.6, which will be released as soon as the mod portal upload functionality is fixed :)

1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks a ton, that will help a lot when I get back to playing again.

New response