Power Overload

Performant, semi-realistic power distribution overhaul. Power poles can explode if the total electrical consumption on the network is too high. Use transformers to separate networks so that subnetworks do not take more power than they can handle.

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Power

b Powerpoles explode even when entities request too much electricity

1 year, 10 months ago

Hi

powerpoles explode when entities request more power from the respective powerpole withough me or my base having the capacity to produce enough electricity.

For example; when disconnecting and reconnecting my base from my powerplant, the base wants around 2 GW to charge up everything,
my whole powerplant can only produce around 260MW, but the powerpoles, which are rated for 700MW, are exploding anyway
that was extremely annoying to deal with, and made no sense so we had to remove the mod.

We really like this mod, since we were having fun managing the connections and seperating areas etc.,
Hoping for a fix or solution

1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry to hear that, it definitely isn't supposed to happen :( I'll take a look, but probably not for a day or two.

1 year, 10 months ago

I tried to reproduce it in a test world but it seems to work fine under the conditions you described. Do you have a save you could send that demonstrates the issue?

1 year, 10 months ago

Hi,
thanks for the fast response

I couldn't really reproduce it for some reason, but when you click on a powerpole and take a look at electricity from ~1 hour ago you can see a huge spike up to 1.3GW in production tab on the right for some reason

savegame:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh4jAQd3RbTqEIBy_3E8r-zqG3NLLGRD/view?usp=sharing
mod files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15FW0d_dYRDO_0T-CAYIZ9-m5vgcq7AYh/view?usp=sharing

1 year, 10 months ago
(updated 1 year, 10 months ago)

Hi

we managed to reproduce it

it looks like a feedback loop with transformators and there being a problem with UPS

Here is the save file you just have to wait a few seconds then there'll be a spike up to 3GW

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DhwJ0kxXJDg-Mdum4UXY6LK1aEqNpB4o/view?usp=sharing

Edit: I forgot to mention... The powerplant is at the bottom right, above the walled off chokepoint.
We reproduced it with connecting several transformers directly with each other, just to simulate what had happened inside our base.
You can basically have infinite electricity that way.

1 year, 10 months ago

I have the exact same problem and managed to reproduce it

I've reached around 10GW while my powersupply maxes out at around 160MW

1 year, 10 months ago

The more saves that reproduce it the better :) First of all check that you don’t have any transformer loops (input into output into input).

1 year, 10 months ago

That's not really a solution to the problem.

It would also make more sense when the transformators explode instead of powerpoles when overloaded, and/or remove the copper cables when overloaded, since they would also overheat and melt

so when too much electricity, remove copper cable and potentially make transformators explode

1 year, 10 months ago
(updated 1 year, 5 months ago)

I took a look at your save: it seems that the set of 4 transformers above the power plant is causing the issues, removing them stops the explosions from happening. Unfortunately I don't currently have time to look at why this is the case so I can't fix this properly yet.

It would also make more sense when the transformators explode instead of powerpoles when overloaded, and/or remove the copper cables when overloaded, since they would also overheat and melt
so when too much electricity, remove copper cable and potentially make transformators explode

Burning wires: I quote myself from https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PowerOverload/discussion/6024f11516f57505bdc33f66 - "Burning wires would be easy. In practice there wouldn't be much difference between explode and burn-wire, except that burnt-wire wouldn't be automatically fixable by bots and fiddly to fix by the player (this is why it is not currently in the mod)."

Exploding transformers: I just don't see the point. And if they exploded then I'd need separate transformers at each max consumption, in addition to the current sets of power poles and fuses.

1 year, 1 month ago

I have been encountering issues that may be related to this - I'm using straight solar and have issues with occasional substation explosions during transient loads even though the network exploding is transformer-isolated and has a max production of only 50 MW.

1 year, 24 days ago

I have the same problem. My power plant is producing max 80MW. I built some laser turrets but when i connect them to the grid they request 200+ MW of power for charging. And suddenly my poles in power plant start exploding because it is exceeding their 200MW limit. It makes no sense, how could go through them 200MW if I am not capable of producing such power ? I do not have any batteries or solar panels, just plain steam engines. My power grids are separated by transformers.

11 months ago

Hi, I am also having this problem. The 100MW medium electric poles in my power plant explode even though it can't produce that much power.

11 months ago

Please disregard. My power plant wasn't as isolated as I thought.

New response