Power Overload

Performant, semi-realistic power distribution overhaul. Power poles can explode if the total electrical consumption on the network is too high. Use transformers to separate networks so that subnetworks do not take more power than they can handle.

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Power

i [Completed-1.2.0] Electric trains and space exploration compability

3 years ago
3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on space exploration now.

Unfortunately the overhead lines from realistic electric trains are implemented in such a way as to make it impossible to work with Power Overload. You can still use them as it is currently, they will just never overload and explode. Also because Power Overload removes wires between poles of different names when you place the pole, usually you can manually connect poles with wires, but this doesn't work for overhead poles. You'll have to place the overhead pole after the normal pole if you want them to connect.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I've reached the point in my Space Exploration game where I need to power the Coronal Mass Ejection defense structure: Umbrella. The last storm had a peak demand of 50GW, which I can't figure out how to supply due to the biggest pole having a max of 5GW. The next storm is forecasted to be ~70GW. I'm also using the Electric Transformator mod, and those do have a tiny supply area on their output side, it's just the matter of getting the power to the Umbrella that's going to be tricky. Maybe this "Large Electric Pole" mod could be added to the Power Overload support with 10GW max?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/fixLargeElectricPole

2 years ago

Thanks for pointing out that mod, it might be useful going forward with future updates. Unfortunately I have no time in the next few weeks to work on this mod though. I believe that any modded power pole (including that one) that hasn't got explicit support from this mod (ie anything except from AAI Industry, Bob's Power, Bio Industries, Cargo Ships) can transfer unlimited power, so I assume that mod's pole will supply what you want.

2 years ago

ok, I've added this Large Electric Pole and Advanced Electric to the shared.lua in my copy of Power Overload:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Advanced_Electric

["fixLargeElectricPole"] = {
  ["large-electric-pole"] = "16GW"
},
["Advanced_Electric"] = {
  ["small-electric-pole-2"] = "24MW",
  ["medium-electric-pole-2"] = "110MW",
  ["medium-electric-pole-3"] = "120MW",
  ["medium-electric-pole-4"] = "130MW",
  ["big-electric-pole-2"] = "550MW",
  ["big-electric-pole-3"] = "600MW",
  ["big-electric-pole-4"] = "650MW",
  ["substation-2"] = "220MW",
  ["substation-3"] = "240MW",
  ["substation-4"] = "260MW"
},

seems to be working from the UI showing their max consumption, I need to test if they'll actually overload though.

2 years ago

Yeah that should work, but like I said before, I think if poles are not found on that list, they will be able to transfer unlimited power, which may actually be what you want :)

2 years ago

you can connect poles with the overhead wires. The hidden pole is in the middle of the track next to the visible pole base. here is an image https://imgur.com/a/77QCAXg

1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and sorry for taking so long! Poles from Space Exploration, Large Electric Pole, and Advanced Electric are now supported in v1.2.0. I've left the electric trains overhead lines out because they are composite entities so if I destroyed the pole section, the overhead bit would still be left behind, meaning bots can't automatically fix it, and potential to mess up that mod. Also there seems to be several different forks/versions going around, which makes it even more complex.

New response