HelicopterRevival

Adds a fully animated attack helicopter to the game. Ideal for getting from A to B quickly, exploring the map, building islands and nuking biters from the sky. Originally forked from Kumpu with fixes for Factorio 0.18.2+, but adding some enhancements of my own as well.

Content
1 year, 3 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation

b Heliport crash [w/ AR + AB] [can't fix]

4 years ago

Game crashed when i was testing the mod due to placing down a helipad. I have a screen shot.

4 years ago

A screenshot would be quite helpful, yes.

4 years ago

whats the best way to give it to you

4 years ago

Also vehicle wagon 2 doesn't see the heli as a vehicle. I could be wrong but the I think kumpu's version did work with vehicle wagon 2.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

whats the best way to give it to you

Gyazo, imgur,... There are a bunch of image-sharing sites out there

Also vehicle wagon 2 doesn't see the heli as a vehicle.

I don't know what that is, but this mod, compared to original Kumpu's only has more or less just version fixes (version and sound API changing). It's likely that VW2's code changed regarding this.

HOWEVER, this is explicitly stated by the original VW:

Of course, you aren't allowed to load your aircraft onto wagons, as there'd be no point!
Other vehicles that this mod cannot automatically identify also cannot be loaded onto vehicle wagons.

I may look at this, but no promises. as I really don't see it as a bug per se. I'll take a look into the helipad crash, though

4 years ago

Game crashed when i was testing the mod due to placing down a helipad. I have a screen shot.

I just tested it, and I can't reproduce the crash.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I have a lot of mods that I was testing with and I was using editor extensions mod to test everything out.

Also I have the screen shot link now I made an account.

https://imgur.com/b3lxuOv

Also the aircraft mod might have something to with VW2 as it does change some setting in other mods and does support VW2.

4 years ago

It looks like there's a clash between mods.

Which ones do you have installed?

4 years ago

I have too many to list but I found the mod most likely responsible (the game doesn't crash when I place the pad) it was the version of Asphalt roads OwnlyMe modified to get it to work in 0.18.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Well, now that AR was officially updated, I decided to actually look at it, and I found out that my question was quite valid: I asked what kind of mods you were using, not how many.
This question is very important, for the overall bug report, and here is what I found:

Aside of the aforementioned Asphalt Roads, you're also using Alien Biomes (correct me if I'm wrong), and one of the things that it provides is a whole lot of tiles. Together with required core tiles, it quickly climbs to 199. And given that AR also adds a lot of tiles (~70), quite a few issues arise from that.

The Factorio's engine limitation only allows 255 tiles. That's not something we (the modders) can address, but it has to be addressed by Wube.
AB re-indexes the list of tiles, but in doing so, it prioritizes the ones from the same developer (SE, AAI, etc). The rest are basically fighting for the remaining slots. And with AR installed, the number of tiles gets over the limit, and, in short, AR doesn't work as it should either. Given the comment you posted on AR discussion, you stumbled on this yourself:

Just to let you know OwnlyMe the lane markers don't work.

Now, what does that have to do with the helicopter mod? Well, simple: The helipad creates its own tile, but with AB and AR installed, that helipad tile is out of bound, and therefore excluded from the list of the tiles.

And... Is there a solution to this? Yes. No. Maybe.
1) We could ask Wube to fix the tile limitation thing, but since this is an engine thing, we shouldn't get our hopes too high. (Already been asked and addressed by them: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=56619 )
2) We could ask Earendel to reduce the number of tiles in AB (which won't happen)
3) We could ask Earendel to add the helipad tile to the list of priority tiles (but that won't fix your AR issue). In the meantime, you can fix it yourself, by adding the priority part itself (as shown here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/400025099861753856/686651301849071676/unknown.png ) (within Alien Biomes)
4) Create your own helipads, and don't rely on the one provided in this mod
5) Use less mods. With this limitation, AB and AR will never work hand-in-hand, forget anything else that's added to it...

4 years ago

eah I'm using Alien Biomes plus I have Dectorio which I wish Asphalt Roads gets integrated with and maybe Text
Plates (I don't know if this counts as tiles). The version I was using that crashed was the one done by OwnlyMe to get it to run in 0.18. Which was likely a quick and dirty fix. Now it would help if the tiles can be rotated or palette swiped but use the same base tile which would save a lot of tiles (a lot of older games used both to get around limitations in early hardware).

Frankly Webe are just lazy in not increasing the tile limit to something more reasonable when it became clear it was too low to begin with. Who thought in 2013-2016 that using a 256 limit would be a good idea is beyond me . The next limit up (I'm assuming it's binary based) would put it at 65535 with the next up being ‭4,294,967,295 even the former is more reasonable and the later is something that even the older machines that can run Factorio can understand.

The main issue is that both Alien Biomes and Dectorio are too integral too remove and Asphalt Roads is there both to make actual roads and make driving earlier as Pavement Drive Assist is designed to work with AR. Plus I'm haven't got into the coding side of the mods yet. I still don't know what programs to use and I do need to find out as I need to mess with a few mods to put them under a single mod.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

The version I was using that crashed was the one done by OwnlyMe to get it to run in 0.18. Which was likely a quick and dirty fix.

... What? No, that's not the reason why it crashes. I gave a detailed explanation why this happens and how to get around it. Given that Ownly is a pretty talented modder and he went out of his way to fix a mod that wasn't his, and what does he get from you? Just a complaint that something doesn't work in the mod that isn't his. No thanks for getting out of his way to update it for 0.18 or anything. Nice.

Frankly Webe are just lazy in not increasing the tile limit to something more reasonable when it became clear it was too low to begin with.

Please stop. Just stop. Given what kind of stuff there's within Factorio, I'm pretty sure they considered the consequences of rising this limitation, and it just wasn't worth it, especially since this issue is raised due to a single mod. Not 10 of them, not 100, not 1000, but a single one.

Who thought in 2013-2016 that using a 256 limit would be a good idea is beyond me . The next limit up (I'm assuming it's binary based) would put it at 65535 with the next up being ‭4,294,967,295 even the former is more reasonable and the later is something that even the older machines that can run Factorio can understand.

Yeah, you really have no idea what you're talking about. And no, I'm not going to google the answers for you either.

4 years ago

Note by quick and dirty I meant he got it to the point where it could run in 0.18 at all and likely had a few issues to sort out as Ownly himself stated no warranty, no refunds. I reported that bug so he or the original mod author can look into it.

My point on the 256 limit still stands.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I reported that bug so he or the original mod author can look into it.

Yeah, let's go with that.

My point on the 256 limit still stands.

And so is mine, namely that you don't know what you're talking about. Increasing numbers is easy. Dealing with consequences afterwards, isn't, especially if you want people to play your game on wide array of computers as possible. (read: lower-end).

And like I said -- All of this stems only from a single mod.

With that said -- locking this, because nothing productive will come out of this.

This thread has been locked.