Fluidic Power

Overhauls the power network to use the game's built-in fluid system in an attempt to make electricity more realistic. Adds working transformers for high power transmission, and creates various new and interesting power distribution challenges. Similar to the mods Flow Network and High Voltage, but significantly different by being the first mod that uses no on-tick power calculations. This means the UPS impact should be minimal for non-gigantic bases.

Content
23 days ago
Power

g "Substation" variant that can use High Voltage directly?

29 days ago
(updated 24 days ago)

So I feel like something that would see good use is a thing that can provide power to machines from high voltage power.

With like 100MW limit, and only enough supply area to really power a couple machines. Like a substation with a 4x4 distribution area, so it can only power adjacent machines, and minimal wire reach so you can't use it as a normal substation that just uses high voltage directly.

The idea being, particular energy-intensive machines IRL use higher voltages, sometimes directly from the grid.

In vanilla, this would be fairly useful for a fully-beaconed rocket silo. In slightly-less-than-vanilla scenarios, this would be useful for a variety of high-power machines.

28 days ago

Hello!

You mean something like Power Overload's High Energy Interface?

I've thought about this, and it would be cool. But I keep getting to the idea of having to have multiple transformers with multiple substations connected to the rocket silo sounds cooler. Is there some disadvantage or use-case where this won't work? Or have you run into cases where you can't seem to deliver enough power due to the fluid mechanics?

Glad you're still playing the mod though. I always appreciate the input :)

27 days ago
(updated 27 days ago)

It's more that providing power through transformers and substations is very space-intensive. And generally has bad geometry :P

With my given numbers, you just need the one 2x2 building to supply 100MW

Using substations and transformers needs you to have 2 transformers per substation, and since you can't put them on the same side, you need additional large poles to go around to provide the high voltage. It takes up so much more space.

And yes, I was running into not be able to supply enough power.

My rocket launch site using Expanded Rocket Payloads, among other things

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/888589621078929458/1229673980529479760/image.png?ex=66308a23&is=661e1523&hm=3c76778b95baff68ee933d371951a023808f00af198db3966c942b6bdb1a831c&

The silo draws 80MW, while everything else together draws somewhere in the realm of 100-120MW. I have 6 transformers hooked up around the perimeter, which should be plenty of power, yet it has a little brown-out every time the rocket launches. The silo has 4 substations that cover it, one of which is directly supplied by a transformer, and another only has 1 substation between it and a transformer, and yet another has a substation through a pump-switch that has a transformer on it.

This should be plenty of power for everything, and yet...

27 days ago

And of course, I have other modded things that pull a huge amount of power :D

27 days ago
(updated 27 days ago)

Glad you're still playing the mod though. I always appreciate the input :)

:)

I really like it

24 days ago
(updated 24 days ago)

It's more that providing power through transformers and substations is very space-intensive. And generally has bad geometry :P

Using substations and transformers needs you to have 2 transformers per substation, and since you can't put them on the same side, you need additional large poles to go around to provide the high voltage. It takes up so much more space.

Haha yeah, it requires a bit more planning. Especially with the pole connections having to be in cardenal directions only (up/down/left/right). Again though, I think this is part of idea of managing electricity more realistically. If you have a machine with massive power requirements then you need more specialized infrastructure around it, just like in real life.

That said, do you think setups like that would be easier to design if there was diagonal pole connections as well? It will be possible once Factorio 2.0 releases.

I have 6 transformers hooked up around the perimeter, which should be plenty of power, yet it has a little brown-out every time the rocket launches

I still feel this is the idea of the mod. Personally I would've put the rocket on it's own separate network, possibly with some accumulators around it. Maybe even have multiple high voltage lines. But I know you've done this before too :)

It comes down to the balance of the mod, which is hard to get right. The idea of the mod that electricity is more realistic and harder to manage, and especially with high power areas. But it shouldn't be too hard, because then it's not fun. And I'm hesitant to provide a direct high-power generator because that might make it too easy again, and completely circumvent the challenge.

I've only played this mod myself to a regular rocket launch. The highest power area was this fully-beaconed steel smelter with lazer defences. And I had to put transformers everywhere. And personally I found that quite cool. Still had brown-outs though, but I could've brought in more high-voltage lines with even more transformers I guess.

24 days ago

If you have a machine with massive power requirements then you need more specialized infrastructure around it, just like in real life.

Having a direct high-voltage connection is specialized infrastructure :P

That said, do you think setups like that would be easier to design if there was diagonal pole connections as well? It will be possible once Factorio 2.0 releases.

Definitely.

But I know you've done this before too :)

Lasers are hungry bois

And I'm hesitant to provide a direct high-power generator because that might make it too easy again, and completely circumvent the challenge.

So before I do my thing against this, I think I'd like to make an addition to my proposal. Minimal wire reach, so you can't use it as a drop-in replacement for normal substations. Like, you need a big pole adjacent to it to provide the power sorta minimal.

Eh... being able to power specific machines with high energy requirements doesn't seem like it would break anything? You already suggested putting that rocket silo on it's own grid, and the main thing this would do is make it easier to do that?

You wouldn't be able to power your example with this, or my laser thing, because the power usage there is spread over many machines that my proposed thing just wouldn't be able to cover reasonably. Sure you could use it to try power such things, but I think it would be way more inconvenient than just using transformers.

14 days ago

Back to my rocket silo, I can't control which substation the silo draws power from. So even adding more capacity doesn't fix it, because there's more than 100MW of power demand going on a single substation.

The game really isn't designed to have separate and overlapping power networks. Guess I need to move the rocket silo away :D

New response