Fluidic Power

Overhauls the power network to use the game's built-in fluid system in an attempt to make electricity more realistic. Adds working transformers for high power transmission, and creates various new and interesting power distribution challenges. Similar to the mods Flow Network and High Voltage, but significantly different by being the first mod that uses no on-tick power calculations. This means the UPS impact should be minimal for non-gigantic bases.

Content
8 days ago
Power

g I love this

2 years ago

Having to deal with this new power system has been very fun. I probably would have abandoned my current save already if this wasn't in it.

Some things I've learned/like

-1 massive powerplant isn't the best way to go. You get flow issues trying to power a large, spread out base trying to do that. As of this writing, I have 7 power plants spread throughout the base.
- Essentially requiring a Tier system for your high voltage delivery. Having tons of branches on the main line to do power delivery (Or even connecting power production) runs into flow issues.
- The power overlay is quite informative as to the connections, including where you've somehow managed to connect different voltages and didn't notice for several hours and now your power grid is failing because of leaking. (I'm fine I swear)
- Building Nuclear power requires actual connections to the power grid, instead of just one and done. You actually need to have a strong enough connection (And enough transformers!) to handle the power load.
- The power grid as an actual resource you need to manage and keep track of makes the game far better at what it does, I think. It adds a lot of depth to it.

Some things I might like to see

• As you get better technology, your transformers don't really improve, while power poles do. As you get into late-game stuff(Especially modded!), you start needing a truly insane amount of transformers, since each one can only handle 50MW. A fully beaconed and moduled Rocket Silo requires near 80MW.
  • With modded stuff, it gets a bit silly on the requirement for Source poles. It'd be nice to see tiers, at least if you have something like Bob's Power active.
  • It's really hard (Without just adding up all the power usage) to determine how much power a specific place is using. Which makes it difficult to know when you have enough power vs when you need to build more so you don't run out. When you don't have enough starts getting pretty obvious :D
1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks so much for this feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the mod.

Adding more tiers is complicated because we will be hitting some fluidbox limitations if we start pushing more power in or out. But I do want to find a way at some point :)

New response