Dispatcher: dispatch trains to chosen stations with signals

Adds a new train station (Dispatcher) that dispatches waiting trains to a station when a dispatch virtual signal is received (target station ID is provided via the signal).

Content
1 year, 11 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Trains Circuit network

g Different naming convention?

4 years ago

I can't believe it took me this long to stumble upon your mod... Thanks for the work you put in!

Would it be possible to have a different naming convention for the destination stations? For example, instead of Dispatch.1, it would be Dispatch - 1, or Dispatch - A, or maybe combine the two for something like Dispatch 1 - A. A setting option, where you specify your format string using a regex-like expression would be nice. I'm not sure how much effort this is, however.

4 years ago

It would be possible to change the separator (not sure how difficult it is to create an option in the menu, I have to check).

However, it would still have to be a number. I do not see how "Dispatch - A" could work, because you can only send a positive number associated with a signal, not letters or other characters. Or am I missing something?

In the end, it could be :
Dispatcher name : "[Whatever]"
Stations names : "[Whatever][Customized separator][0-9]+"

4 years ago

I think your solution is acceptable.

Idea (I'm not sure how much would this could be): a global list of train stations and unique number pairs (would require a custom GUI to show and manage the pairing). Then the number fed into the station could match up with a unique number in that list, allowing for stations to have whichever name they want.

I'd be willing to help out with such things.

4 years ago

Your idea of a global list of stations IDs is very good!
However, as you said, it is a bit more complicated to implement because of the GUI, and probably a bit more difficult to start with for beginners.
Short term, I think I will try to implement my solution, but I keep in mind yours (and you are welcome to help, the code is available on GitHub).

robot256 β˜†
4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hey Semaphor, LuziferSenpais "Simple Circuit Trains" does almost exactly what you suggest. You open a GUI and manually assign a circuit signal to each train stop you care about, then trains will go there when they receive that signal. I like Dispatcher because it is simpler to set up, but the other one is more versatile.

New response