Cities Of Earth 3

by hyspeed

A Factorio mod that uses maps of Earth for world generation. Choose from different world layouts. The world size can be set at startup but does not tile or repeat. * Optional: Teleporters at each city provide fast movement across the world. * Optional: "Pre-Place Silo". The Rocket Silo will be built at map creation and cannot be crafted by players. * Optional: "Team Co-op". Each city is a team, players can build a factory to launch from their Silo.

Content
3 months ago
Transportation Environment

g 1:1

1 year, 6 months ago

What scaling factor in theory should i have if i want in-game map1:1 to real earth?

1 year, 6 months ago

Hi,
For single player, I recommend scale 1. For multiplayer, scale 2.
I do not know the math of "Factorio Tiles to Earth distance". I've seen some discussion of a "tile" being a certain amount of kilometers.
You would need that to calculate the scale. However, the player takes up a "tile", so the sizes of things will be off.

I know of a player that has tried scale 5 and it took hours to walk from his spawn to a shoreline. I don't know if that would be fun.

1 year, 6 months ago

Alright, thanks!

1 year, 6 months ago

So
Earth area is 510 072 000 Km²
let's think, that one tile is 1 sq. meter, then it's 510 072 000 000 000 m² and same number of tiles
then we divide area (atlantic) = 1 by IRL earth area and have 5 100 720. That's the scale if we want our factorio world to be 1:1 with real world.
Cool fact: Distance from Lisbon to Bering Strait is 12000 Km. Knowing factorio locomotive speed (298 km\h) we can calculate time. That's a 40 hours of non-stop moving. And you will consume 22.4 of nuclear fuel only to travel there.

New response