by feupeu

Allows you to track circuit signals on the player HUD

Content
3 years ago
Circuit network

i On / Off switch

3 years ago

Nice mod!
It would be great to have an on/off switch inside the HUD Comparator, so that each comparator can be switched on and off as needed.
Once all are switched off, the Circuit HUD isn't displayed anymore.

3 years ago

I agree, looks like a great mod.

The switch would be a great addition but please allow it to be switched on/off by simply hovering over the combinator and using a key bind such as ''F". This would then function in the same way as the Pushbutton mod works.

3 years ago

Thanks for trying out the mod, it's always great with feedback. I really like the idea, and will be looking into implementing an on/off switch. I'm currently considering the "vanilla" on/off functionality, similar to a constant combinator, but I'm also considering an "enabled condition" input, such as inserters, belts, etc.

This will allow to mod to be further automated using vanilla mechanics, which i like very much. This will also allow for users to implement their own on/off buttons (or simply outright use the Pushbutton mod, as Tealc suggested).

3 years ago

Hi guys. I've just released version 0.3.0, which include this feature. I've updated the mod description and added a video demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSxvbVw3PQ

I ended up going with a signal based solution, so vanilla circuit logic may be used. This allows for stuff like proximity detectors to work as well.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I more so meant the way Pushbutton allows you to hover over a Vanilla Constant Combinator and switch it on/off by only using a keybind.

Just tried your solution and it works just as well, albeit needing to add an additional combinator just to get on/off functionality. It's great for doing things with proximity sensors etc as seen in your example. Having both would definitely be an advantage for different use cases.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thank you for your quick reaction.
However, your current solution is complicating stuff and also isn't intuitive at all. Turning the other constant combinator off turns the HUD on? I understand how it works, but I don't think it is a satisfying KISS (keep it simple stupid) solution.

Therefore I am still asking you, if you can implement the vanilla on/off feature to the HUD Comparator in order to keep it simple? Maybe additionally, because your current solution is very useful if you want to do more with it and with ciruits.

I also like Tealc. suggestion, but I am not fond of having a lot of functionallity only on keybindings. If I don't use them often, I need to look them up.

Conclusion: having an on/off vanilla button would be very nice and having also a hovering shortcut for Tealc. too would be super nice :)

3 years ago

Just a suggestion, wouldn't it be doable to add a shortcut (like those icons next to the quickbars, with ALT-mode, construction/upgrade/deconstruction planners, disable roboport/exoskeleton) to disable the hud?

3 years ago

Hey guys, let me start out by saying that i appreciate the feedback - I think you all have some valid points.

@CyberMarla, I get where you're coming from, and yes: I also think that having to send a signal does complicate things, but that's a intentional. Because I want the mod to feel and look like vanilla. This means that if I want to enable/disable the HUD Combinator conditionally, I'll have to do it through a signal condition, like enable/disable on belts , inserters, power switches, pumps, train stations (and probably some more I dont rememver). I think it would be complicating things further if we added two features doing the same thing (an on/off button in the UI along with the current implementation).
And yes, the signal thing is not totally vanilla-like, but I'm still trying to figure out how to implement/open the "Select a signal or constant window", so if any of you have some insight in this, please let me know.

@Tealc I get your pain, but as I stated previously, I wont be implementing anything that I think is too far from vanilla (or at least vanilla like), and considering it can be solved by using a single decider combinator (and the pushbutton mod), I don't feel like i justifies implementing a feature that's not vanilla-ish.

Here is a blueprint i made, showing how to make a "toggle button" using the pushbutton mod:
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

@LucoEldritch - I like your idea. I've been playing with the idea of requiring a specific item being inside the players power armor for the HUD to show up. Combining that with your "Disable circuit HUD"-quickbar would probably be a nice addition. However, this should probably enable/disable all HUD combinators on that players view, like how disabling roboports disables them all (other players should enable/disable their HUD themselves). I might be looking into this in a future release. Thanks for sharing your idea

3 years ago

@CyberMarla, @Tealc and @LucoEldritch

I have forked this mod to https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CircuitHUD-V2 and have solved many performance issues and am planning to implement all your suggestions! Please give it a try and let me know if it works.

New response