Thermal Solar Power

Adds the ability to build an early to mid game thermal solar complex with built-in energy storage for the night with varied features.

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Power

i I like it

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I must say that your mod functions ... well ... intuitively and correctly. I like it better. Will there be updates to the items icons? Since it's quite tricky to identify which one you hold in hand/should craft.

Minor things would be that your basic heat pipes have a lower heat capacity than the vanilla ones thus allowing more heat to be converted to steam. Maybe switch them around to let the player have a reason to use the more expensive ones. Also intermediary heat exchangers between 165°C and 500°C seem a bit overloaded. Might just be me, but I would use either one in my playthroughs.

Cheers!

5 years ago

I'm thinking about graphics updates but I'm a programmer, not an artist so it will probably not improve much

The original heat pipes have a function in nuclear reactors: they help to store energy and avoid losses due to overheating and so do my heat accumulators.

My heat pipes are not made for reactors, the energy transfer is slow compared to vanilla heat pipes. But the heat accumulators can replace heat pipes in reactors with advantages: they transport heat much faster and further :D

About the intermediary heat exchangers, they were made to work with Bob's power and his improved steam engines, if you don't use Bob's power or other mod with improved steam engines it's probably better to use only the 165°C heat exchanger

Thanks for your review

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Well, they don't need much. Mabye add a simple flame with a number to them and they should be good to go.

Ah right. So they can be used in different ways that way. Maybe add a note to them to let other, not so experimental users, know ;)

I forgot about those. See above for better usability.

Cheers!

Edit: (Just to not open another thread) How about adding heat based furnaces? Ban fossile fuels! :D

5 years ago

I think it's possible to make in Factorio a heat-furnace, but to be realistic it would have to work above at 1500°C and this is far from a realistic temperature in a solar plant even if the light is highly concentrated in a heat tower

5 years ago

I'm not sure that would be unrealistic. When the solar heat towers were built, they were the hottest industrial furnaces in Europe at the time, and created the European porcelain industry. Combustion furnaces didn't attain the temperatures required until much later.

5 years ago

Nowadays heat towers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_tower) reach 550C, maybe if they used curved mirrors instead of flat ones they could reach the target temperature in a small area, but I'm quite sure this is not practical in an industrial furnace
By the way, I made a "furnace" powered by heat but working at a much lower temperature it's called "salt evaporation pond" if you want to copy the design to your own mod feel free to

New response