- Boil water to steam, but there is no steam engine to generate electricity.
- Run the steam through copper pipes to your factory buildings.
- Build pneumatic inserters powered by hot steam directly on pipes.
- Assembling machines, labs and mining drills run on steam.
- Use solar thermal heat to boil your water to steam and save some coal.
- There is no need for electric poles for a long time.
- When you reach oil, there is an alternative way to power your factory buildings: combustion!
- Build higher tier machinery based on combustion - you will replace your steam based economy with diesel power.
- Research the diesel generator to finally use electricity.
- No steam engine, no small electric poles.
- Valves replace electric circuits in all steam based recipes.
- Inserters become steam or combustion inserters.
- Special steam and combustion science packs, that are only needed to research corresponding technologies.
- Steam labs can not use chemical science packs. From here on you will need combustion labs.
- Modules can only be used in combustion machines, not in their steam powered equivalents.
- If you like it more hardcore, play with Steam Cooling and Steam Reheaters