Von Neumann

by kizrak

Von Neumann Mod! Who wants to be a sack of blood and bones when you can be an hyper-intelligent self-replicating robot! This is a scenario!

Scenarios
1 year, 8 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

b Can't change recipe in assembler

3 years ago

Hi,

as stated in the title: I can't change the recipe of an assembler, meaning when I want to change a production I need to remove and rebuild the assembler.

Is this intentional or a bug?

This happens in v 0.9.52 of Von Neumann with Factorial 1.1.21.

3 years ago

It is a "limitation". 😒 The idea is that the character isn't suppose to be able to carry anything (beyond blueprints/planners) but when you "reset" an assembler's recipe, the items inside the assembler go to the players inventory. I've tried to design this mod around the APIs permissions system instead of the events (during the second revamp). The early versions of the mod were event based, but that led to lots of bugs including ones that could cause the destruction of the entire contents of containers -- very bad.

I'm not happy with the current state but I'm also not sure how to get the desired effect (a player without a "real" inventory) without lots of bad bugs. This started as one of my first mods so it also has a lot of legacy code. I probably just need to redesign it from the ground up, maybe with some type of mix of events and permissions (and prototyping). But I'm also not sure when I'll have the time to do a big revamp either. πŸ˜“

2 years ago

yeah ran into this problem and its a pain to have to rebuild the factory every time I need to change something.

2 years ago

@kizrak: maybe a way to handle the items: a temporary logistic bot is created, carries the items to the next chest and vanishes. Just a concept though, not sure if this is feasable.

2 years ago

I like the idea of bots carrying away "illegal/contraband" items, given that the early bots are very energy hungry, this discourages it because of power limits. ⚑ I just want to avoid vanishing/deleting items, because the item deleted could by very valuable or maybe even irreplaceable (depending on your mods).

New response