Von Neumann

by kizrak

Von Neumann Mod! Who wants to be a sack of blood and bones when you can be an hyper-intelligent self-replicating robot! This is a scenario!

Scenarios
1 year, 9 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

b Unable to copy-paste entity settings

3 years ago

I can't use shift+right-click / shift+ left-click to copy and paste recipes from assemblers to requester chests or inserter settings to other settings.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

This is intentional to prevent characters from getting items into their inventory. ๐Ÿ˜ข If you copy settings over an assembler that already has a recipe, then the ingredients in the machine go into the players inventory, which is not desired (the character is suppose to be more commander than solder in this mod).

๐Ÿ’ก You should still be able to copy and place new entities, just not copy and paste over existing.

3 years ago

The function is really useful, though, especially with all the requester chests. It could be enabled if any items the game puts into the player's inventory that are not blueprints or planners are immediately dropped on the ground.

Thuro โ˜†
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hi Mandydax,
Originally with this mod, we used Lua to detect and accomplish that kind of thing. The problem was that the API didn't quite give us what we were looking for. In order to accomplish some of the design goals (player cannot pick up and place items directly, other than a selected few such as BPs and wire) we found that the code didn't cleanly allow what we were looking for. We had to choose between a bug allowing the player to duplicate items for free or a bug where items disappear forever in nonintuitive ways. We didn't like either of those options for obvious reasons so, when Factorio's permission system was recently expanded with some features we could use, the mod was switched over to use the permission system to block undesired events versus intercepting them with Lua. This eliminated those two bugs but restricted us in other ways.

The problem with using the permission system is two-fold:
1. It's not quite granular enough for us to accomplish what you're looking for.
2. The client completely blocks and doesn't even send the prohibited events to the server so we can't even intercept the command and trigger actions based on them with Lua. We've reached out to the devs and rseding91 indicated he has no desire to go back and change the behavior so blocked events are sent to the server.

As the two bugs above were completely game breaking and the inability to copy paste recipes is a minor quality of life issue, we chose the lesser of two evils. If you want to see what I mean, you can go back and try version 0.7.35 of the mod (use a clean new game as saves are not inter-compatible with new versions of the mod) before the system was changed to permissions.

3 years ago

Cant be an idea to put ANY item as fixed and not editable value of 0-0 on the personal network?
This way any item that go in inventory go directly to trash slots and dont interact with inventory and, based on amount of logistic robot, item wont stay for long in trash bin...

3 years ago

I've added this to my list of possible future solutions. Thank you for the feedback ๐Ÿ‘

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Just a thought about the question.
I see you've inserted an event logger of inventory and trash changes.
Could you use this event catcher to scan the change and use the informations for create a logistic slot 0-0 of the change found?
And I suggest to increase a LOT the trash slot amount for avoid the chance that someone find a way to fill them and then have an inventory of available items.
Actually the character has the chance to fill his inventory throught robot requests and manually place entities without "ghosting" them.
Another idea. Can you change by default the command to place ghosts? If you can exchange the system commands to place ghost with single click and entities with shift-click and then add other command to shift-clicks you can disable the shift-click use and disable the hand placement of entities.
Try it, if you want and think my suggestions can be useful.

All this is for let you reenable the copy-paste because if you have to manually set 20 chests for machines that use 5-10 products can be a very boring and painful work...

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Normally if I need to copy-paste new settings I just remove the existing entities and paste what I need fresh. Yeah, the robots just end up picking up and placing down the same thing, but it will have the new copied settings and its easy for me (even if the robots get a bit of a workout) ๐Ÿ’ช

I have a plan/dream to eventually overhaul the mod again to allow but penalize the character for using their inventory. This would theoretically have fewer edge cases and prevent a lot of problems like these --- allowing the user to accept the penalty long enough to solve their problem and then return to a "zero" inventory state afterwards. ๐Ÿ”ฎ

3 years ago

I think if that a solution can be found, you can find it.
But for place veicles you HAVE to keep them in your inventory or you cannot place them.
Or you know how place veicles with bots?
Except for trains that can be botplaced....

2 years ago

Cars and Tanks (and other vehicles) are one of the reasons I'd really like to solve this and a rework is on my list of things...

Thank you for the ideas and feedback ๐Ÿงก

2 years ago

After reading our exchange again I've thought that there's a good chance for a misunderstanding.
I think you've got it as a chest->chest copy-paste, but I was talking about assembly-machines->chests copy-paste.
When making it for some high rank items you need to set a lot of them.
For example when making the different satellites from space explorations or for some high rank buildings from darkstar utilities productions.
They come in big numbers when you go on having 20 or more labs working at fullspeed and heavy beaconed from the 2 mod above or some others...

New response