Von Neumann

by kizrak

Von Neumann Mod! Who wants to be a sack of blood and bones when you can be an hyper-intelligent self-replicating robot! This is a scenario!

Scenarios
1 year, 9 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

g I like it a lot! Thank You

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I like the Scenario a lot!

I realy like:

• the idea of this playstyle.
  • the smart and well balanced power support by the generator
  • the realy cool and well balanced "damaged" facilities
  • the idea with the ore spilled over the patch
  • the "cage", don't like it, but i understand why it is there (clever solution)

I'm nerved by:

• the pipette debug beep (until I disabled it)

• the deactived "RMB for remove a ghost" capability (that is realy bad, because my job is only placing (and removing) blueprints and ghosts
    -- ^^ this sucks a lot, i think i had to open 100thounds times the deconstraction planer only for single belt ghost
    -- maybe there is a solution?

• the ribbon world with 800 tiles height limit
    -- tried to change the settings midgame, but seem this is not possible in factorio
    -- maybe that's why I'm stopping this round, because a have very big lakes left and! right of my starting area

• had trouble with placing moduls ended up with "Module Inserter" mod

• that I can't change the assembler recipt, so i have to destroy the assemble every time (maybe there is a technical need for this behavior?)

• im not shure how late game will work, if you have to travel long distances to open circuit elements or such stuff

• i think in the sense of this mod unlimited reach for these task is excpected

So i have to say: Thank You for this nice mod/scenario kizrak!

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thank you for the feedback!

• I also very much like the RTS play-style this mod encourages (and enforces).
  • This mod is also meant to be balanced with several of my other mods, in particular Light Artillery.
    This really helps with it comes time to expand into enemy territory, as trying to do turret hopping with robots can be very painful.
  • Without the cage, it really make radars feel worthless and I didn't like that. I'm open for other ideas that make radar useful.
  • The pipette should be fixed once the next release happens.
  • For a long time, I tried to make the RTS rules using LUA-events, but that was very error prone and very buggy. I'm very cautious to disable one of the permissions and try to do this via LUA-events again... I spent ages try to cover all of the edge cases 😡
    My best suggestion is to make hot-bar slot 1 a generic deconstruction planner. And is in-fact why the first hot-bar is left empty πŸ€“
  • I use the map gen settings for balance play-testing. I typically look for worlds that have an ocean/lake to the east or west and find that particularly useful. This is a setting, so feel free to play with other values.
  • I wasn't able to get the Module Inserter mod to work. I recognize the issue, and have been brainstorming ideas for the best way to handle the situation. I would like to find a mod that works with mine so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.
  • Changing assembler recipe is same issue as other LUA-events... any non-permission based technical solution becomes very problematic.
  • Have you tried Railbot yet? I need to add more documentation for him, but you can construct him if your Electricity Generator energy storage is max. After you create him, you can get him to follow you, and he will build blueprints for several "outpost" items (all train stuff, yellow inserters, roboports, and few others), but only if the starting buffer has the needed items. The starting buffer's logistic requests contain all of the items he can laser build.
  • You should have more reach than your screen allows. Is there some issue here?

Cheers 😎,
-Kizrak

3 years ago

What I would like, and should probably make a Modding interface request for, is something that triggers LUA events when a player tries to do something they do not have permission for (for example mining). But I suspect it would share the same fate as API Event when crafting fails 😒

New response