Thermal Solar Power (Lite)


Streamlined fork of the mod "Thermal Solar Power" by MarximusMaximus and others. Lets you build a thermal solar complex that can output either steam or just hot water, for fully or partially renewable power production. The mod incorporates a heat loss mechanism, is highly configurable and has been adapted for Space Age.

Content
a month ago
1.1 - 2.1
7.92K
Fluids Power

i Water Cooling [CLOSED]

2 years ago

IRL, the efficiency of solar panels goes down as their temperature goes up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RwHqAB2pzM), so cooling is needed to maintain higher efficiency. An logical mod, therefore, is the inverse of this one, where you need to feed water in to prevent heat buildup.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hey Keith, thanks for your input.

But... you are not making any sense. The opposite of cooling... is heat buildup. We need higher temperatures to increase the efficiency of thermal solar power. I don't think you thought this one through!

2 years ago

I'm talking about using water to cool regular solar panels, as discussed in the linked video.

2 years ago

Thank you for the clarification. I really couldn't tell that what you were suggesting, was the creation of a new electric solar panel with water cooling.

In any case, I am not really interested in making such a mod. Long story short: I can't think of a reasonable implementation, I think it would add too little in terms of gameplay, and I couldn't create the graphical assets for it anyway. I wouldn't want to make mod adaptations either.

In the first place, I made this fork because I don't like all the solar panels along with accumulators and power lines. Somehow fitting the solar panels with pipes as well (they are big, you know!) would in my opinion only make all of it look worse.

But thank you for making the suggestion. I often think about how to make the power infrastructure more interesting as well.

2 years ago

Fair enough. Thank you for your efforts and your response.

2 years ago

No problem!

New response