Stringy Train Stops

Rename train stations and dispatch trains based on circuit signals

3 years ago
0.14 - 1.1

i A signal to replace with vanilla train stop

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

It would be awesome if there was a signal I could send to convert a stringy train stop into a regular train stop. I only need to name stops at outposts once, after that I never rename them or send any type of other stringy train stop signals. Only the one stringy train station that configures newly built trains is actually used several times. So I don't want a migration that just converts all stringy train stops once. I only want the ones receiving the signal to be made into vanilla train stops, and I want to be able to do it at any time. Obviously a vanilla train stop wont be able to be converted back to stringy train stops with a signal, but that is ok, I want a permanent conversion.

With potentially hundreds of stringy train stops that just waste CPU cycles running Lua every tick it could become a performance problem.

Also if I remove the mod then all the stringy train stops are removed as well and my base stops functioning, despite the base actually being otherwise completely vanilla. I only use mods to place blueprints and configure things with circuit network, after that the base itself should work without the mods.

The Crafting Combinator adds an extra entity that can be used to configure the recipes in vanilla assemblers (and other entities with recipes) next to it. This entity can then be removed and the vanilla assembler entity keeps its configuration, achieving the same goal of only needing the modded entities when building but not when running the factory.

2 years ago

If stringy train stops and vanilla train stops were fast-replaceable and upgradable to eachother that would also help. That requires knowledge of the position, which I have, so it would be good enough for my current use case. Suggesting this here because it is an alternate path for similar effect, should work anyways and might be simpler to implement so might speed up the process.

But for others or if I want to make something simpler without a positioning system then it would still be nice if it also was doable with a signal.

(For both of these suggestions the replaced train stop needs to keep wire connections of course.)

New response