Modular Turrets

by wodzu93

Adds 8 (15 counting variations) new turrets for dealing with alien menace, as well as other military-related items. Good compliment to mods that add new biter types, like Rampant or Natural Evolution.

Content
5 months ago
0.15 - 1.1
Combat

i Option that adjusts cannon shell range should = nil?

3 years ago

So I noticed the option to make the cannon shell ranges longer changes the max range from 30 to 80. Why not just set the max range to nil? I just did some testing and it seems to work well. I can't think of a cannon in the game or mods that doesn't have its own max range set.

3 years ago

It's for performance. Missed shells would continue to go until they deplete their damage to deal. Given enough time and missed shots, projectiles would eventually travel to unexplored chunks and needlesly bloat the save file by creating more.

3 years ago

Ah. I did not know that was a function of the base game. Thank you.

3 years ago

Not that it would be something for you to do. But I did some testing and talk with the devs. They put a default range limit on shells (23? chunks 1000? tiles? something like that) so they don't go on forever. I also found out some interesting things. Explosive shells don't do this. They go to the point they were aimed then explode. Testing determined this was because of the "direction_only = true" on the two non explosive shells in Factorio\data\base\prototypes\entity\projectiles.lua . If this line is commented out (I assume made false as well?) the non explosive shells behave just like the explosive and stop at their intended target point. Thought I would share.
Please keep up the wonderful work. I love your mod.

New response