Resource Spawner Overhaul

by orzelek

Overhauls resource spawning system.

6 months ago
0.14 - 1.1

g Automatic support function

4 years ago

I noticed that there are a lot of support requests. Does that amount to a lot of work?
You could try to make a global function that other people can use to automatically add support for their mods (or another person's mods, if they want), like deadlock beltboxes does.

4 years ago

This was discussed at length at some point.
Main problem is - then support requests can change into crash reports or not working reports in any case where someone passes bad data to said function.
Writing a validator for data coming to that kind of method is beyond my willingness to work with lua language.

As a result of all of above this kind of functionality has not been added yet. There was an attempt to write that validation at some point but it was lost in time.

4 years ago

You could look at how the Deadlock mod does it, it's fairly simple.
But in the end it's your decision.

4 years ago

Have you looked at how RSO ore config file looks?
There is a pretty significant difference between what Deadlock has in external interface (it was 3 or 4 simple parameters) vs nested table of ore configs that need to contain specific elements in specific places.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Deadlock's interface is not that simple. I'm talking about his add_tier command BTW, not the add_stack.
The add_tier function require a table of 17 parameters (some being optional).
I'm basing my assumption of the difficulity based on the two krastorio topics, the data Krastor provided there looks easily simple enough for a system like that to handle it.
The function was a repeated of 'if not (validation stuff) then log error return end'
if it passed all of the validation steps, only then it calls the actual making function.

4 years ago

If someone will want to add such validation I can work with them to add it to the mod but it's not likely I'll write one.
There is a bigger chance that I will search for new mod maintainer than making such complex upgrade.

4 years ago

You know what? I think I could try to do that. I'll take a look at what data the mod needs, later. For now, I have a different project to finish.

New response