This was only an update to +0.18.31 of the original version of https://mods.factorio.com/mod/platforms, all credits go to micromario Please use that instead now that is 0.18 compatible.
Platforms act as a more versatile form of landfill since they can be deconstructed after use and be put into blueprints.
Xterminator made a spotlight on this mod, from the old version check it out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKvzBvEm4A
- Platforms are immortal while a building is on top, but the player dies if a platform is removed from underneath them.
- Platforms can be overwritten by other tile types if you build them on top, so you can texture the water how you like.
- Platforms also have the advantage that they can be blueprinted or deconstructed with bots.
- There is a mod setting that lets you change the texture of the platform. There are currently two themes.
- Platforms provide a 30% speed boost
- You can use NUM+ and NUM- to control the placement size. (This is a vanilla feature of all tiles.)
- Dropped items, cars, and curved rail are zapped into the nether if a platform from underneath is destroyed
- There is a slight graphical issue involving buildings on edges of platforms
- Selection boxes that are bigger than the referenced entity will make too many immortal tiles when placed on platforms. I can't imagine a scenario where a modder would make such an entity, so I won't fix this until I see an example. I don't want to fundamentally change the mod to accommodate for a fringe case.
- Adds a noticeable delay for placing/destroying many entities at once. This is seen in mods like creative mode, and the map editor