Platforms

Allows you and your robots to build platforms. Platforms are placed on water, and act like landfill except that you can destroy platforms later to reclaim water tiles. They can also be put into a blueprint. Graphics from kaueNP.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Logistics

i Get rid of platform recipe, give minability to landfill tiles.

4 years ago

https://wiki.factorio.com/Landfill#History wrote:
0.17.10:
Landfill is now a separate tile, differentiated from grass-1.
0.17.0:
Landfill can now be included in blueprints and placed by construction robots.

Now there's no longer that much of a point in having a specially added tile to act as a platform tile. The landfill tile could be reskinned to look like platforms and the minability could be added to the landfill tile. And then you could remove the Platform recipe and platform item and platform tile to reduce mod complexity. I get that it was needed in 0.16 when the mod was made, but with proper landfill support from the main game the mod could be implemented by modifying the base assets instead of adding new ones for better future proofing, stability and usability.

But the primary benefits are that if you install the mod mid-game then already placed landfill becomes minable and you don't have to throw away all the landfill you have already crafted because you need a new item type. And if you need to disable the mod later (maybe temporarily because of Factorio update or something) the platforms don't become grass-1 and then stay that way when the mod is updated to the incompatible Factorio version.

And if people knew that they could keep playing safely even if they were not able to use the mod consistently then they would not have to hesitate in using the mod and the platforms since all their platforms in boxes won't just disappear whatever happens and all their placed platforms won't become unminable.

Discussed in https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=69602#p430402 first

4 years ago

I didn't know about the changes to landfill in .17

This sounds like a great idea, actually I can't think of any reason not to make this change.

Let me see what I can do

4 years ago

Done

I also decided to put it in a separate mod

4 years ago

Ok, thanks! <3
What's the reason you didn't just update Platforms though? To get a new name?

4 years ago

There was a lot of changes in this new version, I still might use this one since I like the recipie

4 years ago

Ok :)

4 years ago

so i built a acid factory on a lake i put plaform on. then i went to put water in so i tried removing the platform. but it wont be mined?

3 years ago

Bronzeborg, please open a separate discussion if your question is unrelated to the original post

New response