Gridtorio

Distributes the Gridtorio scenario by sOvr9000. You start in a single chunk with iron [item=iron-ore], coal [item=coal], stone [item=stone], and a market [entity=market]. You must sell some basic items for coins [item=coin], and then use those coins to expand to other chunks. Automate trading with markets, capture ruins of enemy bases, and discover how the world changes as you venture farther out.

Scenarios
a month ago
Environment

b Indestructible biters

a month ago

Hope this is not a thing that's ment to be...
I ususally destroy biters in a grid with a combo of poison capsules (that I lob in), gun turrets at wall, and rockets for biter spawners...
Last one I did - I'm pretty sure I destroyed all spawners before opening the grid (buying it), but when it opened up there where 5 spawners there with full helth, and they where indestructible!!! Had to go into editor mode and uncheck the Indestructible checkbox to be able to kill them.
BTW - Fun overhaul - enjoying the mess so far... wish there where more info on features... like what the void grids with 4 blue chests are? supposed to do something with this? offer a material?

a month ago

Hope this is not a thing that's ment to be...
I ususally destroy biters in a grid with a combo of poison capsules (that I lob in), gun turrets at wall, and rockets for biter spawners...
Last one I did - I'm pretty sure I destroyed all spawners before opening the grid (buying it), but when it opened up there where 5 spawners there with full helth, and they where indestructible!!! Had to go into editor mode and uncheck the Indestructible checkbox to be able to kill them.
BTW - Fun overhaul - enjoying the mess so far... wish there where more info on features... like what the void grids with 4 blue chests are? supposed to do something with this? offer a material?

Those indestructible biters are a feature that was implemented to replicate the vanilla game mechanic of having to defend your base from biter attacks. I can maybe nerf the amount of biter bases or increase the minimum distance at which they can spawn. Currently, in 0.4.0, there's a 2.5% chance for any "safe" chunk to become an infested chunk, which has those unkillable spawners. I may also lower the chance. I prefer to not ruin anyone's game but give them at least some other challenge related to biters since they already have the freedom to confront biters whenever and wherever they want.

And yes, you offer materials other than coins in the blue chests around void chunks, and then attempt to unlock the void chunk. If the sum of items across all blue chests for a particular void chunk has a value of 10k coins or more, then the chunk is unlocked and turned into a dimensional chunk. This is where you can teleport to a void dimension and acquire infinite loot of some type, where the type of loot becomes better and better as you generate more void dimensions, eventually cycling back to its starting item, which is iron gear wheels. Version 1.0.0 will have some balance changes based on how easy it is to actually cheese this feature to get infinitely many science packs of all types.

a month ago

Yeahh.. found a few more indestructible biter spawners.. seems 5 each time... can see the idea, but as a total surprise pretty hard to deal with... kind of need to be at minimum lasers to permanently handle endless biters spawning at that rate - for ever!! Getting ammo so far away might be hard for such a sudden problem...
Maybe a timer (10, 20, 30 min? random?) on indestructability if possible so it's a challenge, but not a permanent annoyance? Factorio biters are normally a challenge at start and mid game for expansion, after that they are mostly an annoyance (in my opinion)...
But a random challenge is cool... maybe vary amount of spawners also - not always 5? and maybe just spawn in some random biters as alternative to spawners.
Would also help a lot with info from the start, either in the built in "Tips and Tricks" section or with Informatron mod by Earendel. Things like unlocking voids with blue chests... info on random spawns in seemingly empty grids, tips on mechanics of merchants - prices (does it fluctuate or get better further out from start?) and automate selling of goods. Info on pure black void grids (usable or for future stuff, or stuff happens at end-game?)
Mostly Gridtorio is vanilla Factorio with a few cool twists, but great to inform on what's different. And I like the idea of stuff being for after rocket launch so there are stuff to do after "finishing" the game.
BTW.. anything different between Senario (as this is) and normal game?
Appreciate uranium ore as pure patches, but the "big" patches are really far between, and not sure the small patches are worth the hassle of getting acid to them and belting the ore back to central processing... I'll work on it and see if it's practical or easier to go with solar instead of nuclear power... since there are no alternatives for coal (you might want to consider some mods to change that) you kind of have to have steam power to get rid of coal (only way as smelters do not use much). So right now it's a global check for excess coal - then use steam if not solar or nuclear (if it's viable)...

Now I have to get mats valued at10k coins to open a void and check it out :)

a month ago

Looked at nuclear power and found it problematic. I did get more ore from faaar away, even a few of the small patches.... so Kovarex processing was actually not a problem... my issue is at the actual power plant... I have an awesome 8 core plant with steam storage that, in my opinion, is the perfect ratio of neighbor bonus with nice power output - but it takes exactly 3x3 grids (was a bit more but I can fiddle in the edges)... Now my issue is finding a 3x3 grid is almost impossible... there are way to many merchants, voids, voids with blue chests (all indestructible) to place a 3x3 blueprint.
Anyway to remove merchants? Asuming voids are there to stay and if merchants are permanent fixtures also... it's solar power all the way...

a month ago

Looked at nuclear power and found it problematic. I did get more ore from faaar away, even a few of the small patches.... so Kovarex processing was actually not a problem... my issue is at the actual power plant... I have an awesome 8 core plant with steam storage that, in my opinion, is the perfect ratio of neighbor bonus with nice power output - but it takes exactly 3x3 grids (was a bit more but I can fiddle in the edges)... Now my issue is finding a 3x3 grid is almost impossible... there are way to many merchants, voids, voids with blue chests (all indestructible) to place a 3x3 blueprint.
Anyway to remove merchants? Asuming voids are there to stay and if merchants are permanent fixtures also... it's solar power all the way...

Yes, one of the upgrades that you can unlock will delete markets at the cost of coins. Another upgrade can also kill spawners in infested chunks.

a month ago

Yeahh.. found a few more indestructible biter spawners.. seems 5 each time... can see the idea, but as a total surprise pretty hard to deal with... kind of need to be at minimum lasers to permanently handle endless biters spawning at that rate - for ever!! Getting ammo so far away might be hard for such a sudden problem...
Maybe a timer (10, 20, 30 min? random?) on indestructability if possible so it's a challenge, but not a permanent annoyance? Factorio biters are normally a challenge at start and mid game for expansion, after that they are mostly an annoyance (in my opinion)...
But a random challenge is cool... maybe vary amount of spawners also - not always 5? and maybe just spawn in some random biters as alternative to spawners.
Would also help a lot with info from the start, either in the built in "Tips and Tricks" section or with Informatron mod by Earendel. Things like unlocking voids with blue chests... info on random spawns in seemingly empty grids, tips on mechanics of merchants - prices (does it fluctuate or get better further out from start?) and automate selling of goods. Info on pure black void grids (usable or for future stuff, or stuff happens at end-game?)
Mostly Gridtorio is vanilla Factorio with a few cool twists, but great to inform on what's different. And I like the idea of stuff being for after rocket launch so there are stuff to do after "finishing" the game.
BTW.. anything different between Senario (as this is) and normal game?
Appreciate uranium ore as pure patches, but the "big" patches are really far between, and not sure the small patches are worth the hassle of getting acid to them and belting the ore back to central processing... I'll work on it and see if it's practical or easier to go with solar instead of nuclear power... since there are no alternatives for coal (you might want to consider some mods to change that) you kind of have to have steam power to get rid of coal (only way as smelters do not use much). So right now it's a global check for excess coal - then use steam if not solar or nuclear (if it's viable)...

Now I have to get mats valued at10k coins to open a void and check it out :)

Unlock an upgrade to purify patches so that backlogged resources don't jam your entire production chain.

New response