Gridtorio

Distributes the Gridtorio scenario by sOvr9000. You start in a single chunk with iron [item=iron-ore], coal [item=coal], stone [item=stone], and a market [entity=market]. You must sell some basic items for coins [item=coin], and then use those coins to expand to other chunks. Automate trading with markets, capture ruins of enemy bases, and discover how the world changes as you venture farther out.

Scenarios
a month ago
Environment

g Chunk Size Option

a month ago

A Map setting allowing you to change how many chunks you start with and how many chunks are purchased when purchasing chunks, with optional balancing to make purchasing harder. This value doesn't even have to be in chunks, it can be in tiles, allowing for both harder and easier playthroughs.

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

The code is centered very heavily around native chunk generation, so implementing variable chunk sizes is technically possible, but it would require a complete overhaul to the way that purchasable "chunks" are generated. For example, when the native 32x32 chunks are generated, they would have to determine which purchasable chunks are inside it, or if the purchasable chunks are larger than 32x32, the logic is even more complicated. It's certainly possible to make this work, but it's not among my priorities. When I get all the planned features out, I will then maybe consider doing this.

a month ago

I can, however, add the ability for "starting area size" to determine how many chunks you start with for free, without much effort.

a month ago

Well, that makes sense.

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

For some reason, the chunks actually have an odd width, but i understand why. If you were to fix it, you would have to have 2 tile thick walls between chunks. (4 walls inside the chunk vs 2 walls inside the chunk, 2 walls outside the chunk)

a month ago

Variable chunk sizes might be a PITA, but you may be able to have 64x64 without too much effort as it's just a multiplication. Perhaps it'd also be less of a PITA to allow for 16x16 or 8x8 (though the latter seems definitely very masochistic. Who knows, maybe Dosh would play that.

a month ago

Variable chunk sizes might be a PITA, but you may be able to have 64x64 without too much effort as it's just a multiplication. Perhaps it'd also be less of a PITA to allow for 16x16 or 8x8 (though the latter seems definitely very masochistic. Who knows, maybe Dosh would play that.

You're onto something. Perhaps I could make an addon that makes it so that all chunks unlocked come with 3 other chunks for free, forming a 2x2 chunk unlock! So at least larger chunks is possible, by multiples of 32 tiles at a time. Can make that a config option itself. It would also have possible consequences like freeing biters, so it could even add another challenge.

New response