Ghost Counter

Generate a list of all ghosts in your selection area or the blueprint in your cursor using the shortcut button or hotkey (default: Alt+G). Find out what you have in your inventory, and conveniently make one-time logistic requests for everything you need.

Utilities
1 year, 3 months ago
Logistic network Circuit network Blueprints

g Possible switch to a more permissive license?

1 year, 9 months ago

Hello,

Now, just to make sure we don't get on the wrong foot here, this is merely a suggestion, and I have no intention on trying to enforce my opinion in any way - especially since this can be a rather heated topic - so even a simple no will be politely respected :)

First of all, thank you for implementing this mod - it has proven to be really valuable in all stages of game - both for figuring out what items are needed to construct something, as well as to figure out (early game) whether there are any unbuilt ghosts in the area. And I really like the visual design of it - it's clean and fits in well with the game.

The only question from my side is whether you would be willing to release the mode under a more permissive license? While it may not increase the level of contributions you get, it does give option to others to continue the work should you ever move away from maintaining the mod etc. Every now and then, people might just want to take a mod into different direction as well. And finally, people could learn from your code. I am dabbling a bit in the code of mods every now and then, and being able to look at code of existing mods was a big help.

Best regards,
Branko

1 year, 9 months ago
(updated 1 year, 9 months ago)

Thank you for your kind words about the mod and for asking about this nicely.

I released my first two (fairly trivial) mods under the MIT license. My impression of the Factorio modding community soured at the time (for reasons that are not hard to find out). I decided that, for future (more substantial) projects, I wouldn't be comfortable with just anyone reusing my work and publishing it as their own.

If I were to step away from modding Factorio permanently, I would likely try to hand it over to someone else I trust, or absent that, would consider changing the license to one that is more permissive.

I have no issues whatsoever with people reviewing the code and learning from it (if they find it instructive in some way). The code is hosted on Github partly to facilitate that. I don't believe the current license forbids that type of use.

1 year, 9 months ago

No worries, and thank you for answering the question :)

New response