Entity Symmetry

by sparr

Places mirrored/rotated entities around a specified point. Configuration options in README.

Content
5 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Blueprints

g nice work

6 years ago

:)

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

really awesome !!!

half a year ago, i got the "inspiration" for some new type of crossing from reddit, but i decided to build it myself from scratch. it had one pair of tracks in each direction, thus 8 in and 8 out, allowing trains from the left rail to go straight or left and trains from the right rail to go straight or right. trains changing direction would "preselect" automatically the left or right rail of that new direction depending on whether they later needed to turn left or right again. when i did it the first time, it took me many hours of work and already the checks at the end whether i forgot some connection on one branch or whether i put down all signals symmetrically and correcting mistakes took more than an hour (creating blueprints, trying to put them down in each rotation and manually check for items marked red or green, instead of blue).

of course, doing something a second time should be possible somewhat faster, but i didn't remember any details and had to do it from scratch again. thanks to your awesome mod, it took me less than an hour to completely build it again, including all checks (there were almost none since the mod guaranteed symmetry), and it only took 5 minutes to change several connections so that you now even can drive manually, always simply going straight by holding down W, unless you explicitly want to change direction. the new blueprint is exactly 2x2 chunks in size, with 480 rail tiles, 20 normal signals and 40 chain signals. without this mod, i probably would never have tried to build that crossing again :-)

the saved time from building, partially deconstructing and rebuilding alone is 75% (build/deconstruct once, automatically get 3 copies of it), saving another 50% of the remaining time because building is much faster when there is no need to look and check everything for symmetry while making the copies, and then some additional huge saving because i immediately see whether some tracks fit or conflict, and some more saving from avoiding lots of other errors during the entire process. i would guess that the total savings on time were 90% to 95% at least, not including yet less stress and effort for me :-)

THANKS !!!

New response