Zirconium

by brevven

Adds zircon, zirconia, zirconium, and cermet to the base game. Compatible with Krastorio 2, Space Exploration, FE+, and more. Part of BZ Mods.

Content
2 months ago
Mining Manufacturing

g [DONE] Great mods!

2 years ago

Hi!
I want to say that your Zirconium and Titanium mods are awesome! Thank you! They put some additional action into vanilla Factorio in mid- and end-game. And do not overhaul/break gameplay like most of popular big mods do. I love how you made a seamless zircon integration in early game while adding production lines in later game. I also added its products as ingredients in Rampant Arsenal turrets and other items for more fun.

I didn't get why you allow to convert zircon into stone and back. I do understand and agree their relation in real life, but for Factorio it spoils the effect of new game resource IMHO. Can you please add it these 2 recipes as a mod setting (maybe I'm not the only one who finds this re-sorting conversion odd).

Can you please decrease zircon abundance in rocks (e.g. down to 5..7 like coal) or make its presence a mod option? With latest update it became too common free resource (I play with AlienBiomes) like stone and wood. Unless this is your plan to add a third "free" resource in game. :-(

P.S. Tried your other mid-game Tungsten and Silica mods, but they add too much hassle in early-mid game, and Silica also misses crusher building in vanilla production chain like the one in K2/AAI industry, making it strange to smelt stone bricks, then deconstruct them into new raw resource. ;-)

2 years ago

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy them. As for only enjoying specific mods, this is exactly why I've released them individually, that way it's easy to pick-and-choose. That said I'll take all your feedback on Tungsten and Silica into consideration. Specifically, i have considered adding my own crusher building. I haven't yet because for me, buildings take the longest. (I've only done the Foundry so far, and the animations aren't exactly that fancy haha).

I didn't get why you allow to convert zircon into stone and back. I do understand and agree their relation in real life, but for Factorio it spoils the effect of new game resource IMHO. Can you please add it these 2 recipes as a mod setting (maybe I'm not the only one who finds this re-sorting conversion odd).

Thanks for the suggestion. I can definitely make it a mod setting. And now that there is zircon in rocks, I can probably make it default to off. I had initially added it so people didn't have to hand-mine one zircon per furnace in the early burner phase.

Can you please decrease zircon abundance in rocks (e.g. down to 5..7 like coal) or make its presence a mod option? With latest update it became too common free resource (I play with AlienBiomes) like stone and wood. Unless this is your plan to add a third "free" resource in game. :-(

Ah yes, I can decrease it even more in AlienBiomes. Some biomes do have a ton of rocks. I'll also reevaluate the amounts in vanilla. I want there to be enough to make a couple dozen stone furnaces without needing to hand-mine zircon.

Thanks for the suggestions!

2 years ago

Updated in latest.

2 years ago

Thank you!

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Specifically, i have considered adding my own crusher building. I haven't yet because for me, buildings take the longest.

I added Yuoki's electric Crusher building (I see no need in chemical powered one in early game, because stone bricks go the old way, everything else is not needed till midgame), made crushing recipe category, replaced stone brick->silica recipe with 2 stone crushing into 5 silica and that's all. A nice mod by the way! Without additional intermediates it integrates in mid/end game greatly! Maybe I'll try turning on intermediates later too. All three mods add a lot of fun without breaking balance.

Concerning Tungsten (tungsten carbide issue in particular) in vanilla gameplay you could change all furnaces into assemblers like guys did in KR2. As you already modified furnaces with additional outcome slot that won't be a big change now :-). Yes, furnaces will be a little stupid asking for recipe all the time, but people play KR2 and don't say a word about it. Just my opinion. For me Tungsten is still too big change in early/mid game to try it - too many important recipes changed and claiming Tungsten in early game in Rampant world or Deathworld for example... no way here. Also I do agree with complain about too complex and expensive electric furnace recipe if all 4 mods are active.

2 years ago

I've also now updated Tungsten to have a (default off) optional starting placement in vanilla. I had tried it in a death world once, and it was very hard to claim, but possible, though I imagine if you go in without previewing the map, there's a chance you won't find it in time. I understand you still might not play with the Tungsten mod, but I still thought it was a nice way to address one of your concerns.

Regarding setting recipes in furnaces, like in K2, I evaluated the option, and decided that it's just too much of a variation from vanilla for this series of mods. With these, I try to stay "true in spirit" to Vanilla in as many ways as I can. The furnace shortcoming does make this difficult at times.

Also, with regards to Yuoki's Industries, It's been on my backburner to one day add compatibility with it, I might take a pass soon. I like your idea of using the crusher for silica.

2 years ago

Regarding setting recipes in furnaces, like in K2, I evaluated the option, and decided that it's just too much of a variation from vanilla for this series of mods. With these, I try to stay "true in spirit" to Vanilla in as many ways as I can.

There are reports that K2 destructed compatibility with some other interesting mods this way (no one expects that all furnaces are killed). So maybe you are right about not touching type. :-)

Also, with regards to Yuoki's Industries, It's been on my backburner to one day add compatibility with it, I might take a pass soon.

I didn't add YI mod, but I took one particular building from it, made a special recipe category this building is providing, added Crusher technology and changed silica recipe accordingly. You can take it too (it will be CC license) or take KR2's big ugly one - or even downsize it to make it nice (LGPL license) instead of making your own graphics. It's up to you. That's what I did for myself :-)
As a result I have stone bricks production line which is always actual because of production science pack and silica line for other end-game line. Very convenient.
This is how I added in my mods-fixer mod to be precise:
if mods["bzsilicon"] then
local sil = data.raw.recipe["silica"]
sil.category = "crushing"
sil.normal.ingredients[1] = {type="item", name="stone", amount=2}
data.raw.technology["silica-processing"].prerequisites = {"crusher"}
end

New response