Zirconium

by brevven

Adds zircon, zirconia, zirconium, and cermet to the base game. Compatible with Krastorio 2, Space Exploration, FE+, and more. Part of BZ Mods.

Content
2 months ago
Mining Manufacturing

g Suggestion for this mod

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hello,

i like your mods, have recently included your Tungsten / Lead / Titanium mod into my K2&SE run.

I am thinking about also including this Zirconium mod.
I really don’t think that the lower tiers things need some beefing up, for me it just don’t feels right (but its your mod – so I need to take it as it is)
· Stone /Steel furnace; Explosives; Rocket control unit
· Stone bricks

On the other hand wikipedia says that zirconia its a diamond type.
So if you infuse it with some metal (ore) you get colored diamond stone, which could be used everthing Lazer or even for higher tier assemblers assuming that the main cutting in it will be done by lasers instead of metal.

You also mentioned Carbon as possible mod by you; I would suggest into looking at/also at carbon fibers (or in fibers general, there may be also a opportunity to do some fiber tech mod (carbon (from coal/oil) / glas (sand/glas) / natural fiber (wood) to use in higher tech or weight relevant things)

So thanks for this nice mod by you

2 years ago

Hi, and thanks for the feedback. Based on yours and some other feedback I'm going to prioritize a feature for each mod that would allow disabling specific recipe modifications, to allow a much higher degree of customization.

Now, as for zircon in early recipes, there are two reasons I added it there:

• First, thematically, zircon is a good "refractory" material, so it really makes sense to use it in the early furnaces. In fact, zircon is commonly used to make refractory bricks, so I set that up in K2, where furnaces can take more than 1 ingredient. Perhaps a 50/50 split between "stone" and "zircon" would be more straightforward, though....
  • Secondly, I wanted this mod to be involved a little bit at every stage of the game -- zircon early, zirconia and zirconium after green science, and then cermet as the advanced material.

Zirconium is used in explosives as a primer (which it can do in powder form, but I didn't want to add a powder form to the mod just for explosives recipe)

And in terms of zirconia+metal, that's basically what the cermet intermediate in this mod is meant to represent. There are many different combinations of ceramic and metal (cermet). This mod sort of simplifies them. A cool thing is that various cermet materials can be used for mechanical purposes or electronic purposes -- hence the variation in advanced things it goes into.

I'll keep your ideas in mind when designing the carbon mod, which is still being planned out.

New response