Natural Gas

by brevven

Adds a natural gas resource, along with early game plastic. Integrates ElAdamo's gas-fired boiler. Compatible with Krastorio 2 and Space Exploration. A standalone piece of BZ Mods.

Content
a month ago
Mining Fluids Manufacturing

i bakelite phenol ratios

1 year, 7 months ago

i'm enjoying this mod, but i just made a way bigger chemical facility than i imagined!

phenol: makes 1 per 5sec (light oil recipe makes 3 in 15 sec)
bakelite: uses 1 phenol to make 2 bakelite per 2sec
green chip: uses 1 bakelite to make 1 chip per 1/2sec

so, 1 green chip assembler needs 2 bakelite plants, which need 5 phenol plants. 7 chemical plants total
in K2+NatGas, it's 3.5 plants per green chip assembler, and it still feels like a lot there

i'd want to drastically reduce that:
- bakelite recipe gives 6 and takes 3 sec (like vanilla plastic)
- bakelite takes 1 phenol per 6 bars (like modded plastic)
- or phenol crafts faster

the raw resources don't seem to be too much trouble. just the number of chemical plants.

i'm considering making a "bz-for-cowards" mod of tweaks like that, but i thought i'd see if you intended to rebalance that, before i do :)

1 year, 7 months ago

looking at it more, i think this is more of an issue with K2 or other mods that add coke

without coke, the coal->phenol recipe seems reasonable (1 phenol/sec). it can supply 2 bakelite plants

also, forgot to include the formaldehyde in the calculations. it's just shy of 1:1 with the bakelite plants, so it also seemed reasonable to me

1 year, 7 months ago

Hello, thanks for the feedback here. Want to make sure I understand the issue.

I think I see the issue with green circuits/bakelite ratio. I had intended it to be 1:1 with gray assemblers. However, with the Tin mod, I doubled the output of the green circuit recipe, without doubling the time taken. (0.5 for 1). This was an accident at the time, but have not changed it yet. It would only balance the ratios, you'd actually need more assemblers for green circuits, but it would be closer to 1:1

I'll think about the green circuit recipe a little more. I was considering rebalancing it sometime soon for this and other reasons.

As for the phenol plants, I presume you are using the light oil->phenol recipe. I had intentionally made that require more work than the coke+phenol recipe.

I might tone it down a bit, but it's meant to be a little less efficient in space/power, than being able to make use of phenol as a byproduct of coke production. At the same time, it's actually slightly more efficient in terms of raw resources. I think I could comfortably change that recipe from 15 (per 3 phenol) to 12 (per 3 phenol) while still gaining the same gameplay benefits.

As for the "bz-for-cowards" mod, I do generally like that idea! Long term, I'd like to have a good way to make BZ recipes even more customizable. I'm just not quite sure how to do it with the settings interface we currently have. I doubt I'll make any progress on such detailed customization for a long time (probably talking a year+ out, depending on if the devs expand upon the mod settings interface anytime soon).

Long way to say, "bz-for-cowards" seems like a nice idea, even if I do some of the balance changes I plan on.

1 year, 7 months ago

yeah, it does look more reasonable with the coke recipe. i was totally forgetting that furnaces can craft twice as fast as chemical plants

craft speed:
- coal recipe: 0.75 phenol/second (in a blue assembler)
- coke recipe: 0.75 phenol/second (steel/electric furnace)
- oil recipe: 0.2 phenol/second (in a chemical plant)

it'd be 0.25 phenol/second, with a 12 second craft on the oil recipe, which at least divides nicer :)

i think i will make that mod. i'll probably do 3 phenol with a 4 or 6 second craft, but maybe increase the light oil cost to make up for the lower power usage

New response